TomTom XL 340 S many problems, help?

I have a TomTom XL 340 S, which I got under 5 days ago. I used a laptop (Windows Vista) and hooked it up to the laptop via the included usb cable. I then downloaded and installed TomTom Home version 2.7.0.1785

I used the latest map guarantee, and there was a new map available, so I downloaded it, it finished downloading, but when it was copying the files to the device, it ran into several problems, it was unable to copy some file that started with a c (I forget the name of it) I tried holding down the power button while it was turning on till the screen turned green, that didn't help, I tried removing the map from the device, but it was unable to remove that c file I mentioned earlier, so I went to the device via explorer, and deleted the map myself, and restarted the device, then went to redownload the map with the map guarantee thing, and now it says my device doesn't have enough space, now when I turn on my device it says "No maps found!" and when I touch the screen it does nothing, it just stays on the "No maps found!" screen. Is there a way to completely reset everything in it? Is there some sort of program that'll just delete everything and put it back in? Because I can't do a factory reset, considering it's stuck on the no maps found screen... and I don't know what to do. All I was trying to do was update the map, it kept telling me I needed an activation code, but I never got one, I even checked my email. The device specs online says you don't need an activation code. Anyways when the device was working (it still is, it's just overly concerned that it has no map files in it) But when I had the latest map on the device, and it was disconnected from the computer it would say "Problem with map- You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-70"

So pretty much my problem is... I tried to update my device using the latest map guarantee, I would then disconnect the device from the laptop, and it would say "Problem with map- You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-70" Then I tried redownloading the same map, and ran into some file that couldn't be copied to the device that started with a c, now my device won't do anything but say "no maps found" now when I try to use the latest map guarantee I run into this problem...
http://i26.tinypic.com/30s81v7.jpg

So how do I fix my device, I though I deleted the map, and when I navigate to the map folder on the device, there's nothing in it, please help, thanks.

Okay, pretty much I need a program to completely reset it, or if I sent it to the TomTom repai place, would they fix it for free if I pay for the shipping? Because all I did was try to update it, and it gave me all sorts of problems. Is there a program that deletes the files in it, then puts the ones that were in there to begin with? Thanks.

1. Make a complete backup of the unit using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.
2. Delete the contents of the unit using Explorer.
3. Connect the unit to Home and you should be offered an application. Download and install it.
4. Use Winrar to look at the contents of the downloaded cab file. Remove the voices folder from the cab file and place it in a temp folder or desktop. Remove the Loquendo (or it may be called Vocalizer) folder and place it in the same location.
5. Use Home to install the map now. It should fit.
6. Use Home to add voices to the unit, both computer and any recorded voices (don't go overboard trying to add voices you won't use).
7. Disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the computer using the small blue icon in the bottom right of Home's screen.

If all is ok, make ANOTHER Explorer backup to a different folder.

I'm stuck on step 4.. where is this cab file you're talking about? Btw I'm using a windows vista laptop, I have downloaded winrar, but can't find the cab file

In Home, there is a setting for folder paths for the location of various items. For downloads in XP, it is usually something like:
documents and settings/yourname/my documents/tomtom/home/download/complete/maps/ In Vista, the path may vary somewhat.

Yes, I tried that, I ended up with other problems, like when it was done downloading the new mao, and it was copying it over to the gps, it would run into a "write error" so I gave up and took it back, I'll just save my money up for a laptop. I thank you all for your kind and prompt help!

I am sure its too late now But I have just bought the xl 340 S and had the same issues. Come to find out I had to tell my pc to scan and fix any issues on the tom tom. Once I did this I was able to install the maps without any issues.

Though took 4 hours to install (copy) my god that was slow:eek:

Also, if you are still within latest map guarantee 30-day window, you can do a full format of the drive, and HOME will happily reinstall everything back onto it, including your Latest Map Guarantee map.

Also, if you are still within latest map guarantee 30-day window, you can do a full format of the drive, and HOME will happily reinstall everything back onto it, including your Latest Map Guarantee map.

What settings (file system type and allocation block size) do you use to format a unit? I tried this on my first 340S and then every time after when Home tried to update it, it would error with a write error and something about corruption. I RMAd that one and just got my new 340S today and want to try updating the map again and hope I don't run into the same problem as with my last one.

I use a normal fat32 format for my GO 720.

From what I hear, don't update the application on the 140/340 models. The preinstalled app 8.410 seems to be more reliable in file transfers than later applications.

I had all kinds of problems with my 340S after it updated the map with many errors the first time, and then I essentially rendered my device useless ;)

What worked for me (and I don't know if this is a bad thing to do) is that I just treated the device like a regular USB kety and did all file operations outside of HOME.

I formatted the device, copied the extracted application folder to the device and then the map folder (holy slow copying, took 6 hours+) and everything works fine now. These forums were very useful in pointing me in the right direction, now if my TomTom wouldn't send me on a notoriously bad traffic highway all the time, my life would be complete! ;)

I know it'll take some time but please do an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now that it is working.

Format not working

So I tried to format the 340, and it wouldn't format. It gets to the end of the formatting (fat32) and tells me that it couldn't format the device.

So, I can't use explorer to look at it, and I can't do anything else with it, either. Great device, tomtom.

When I started, I did a normal update and the map update failed. Then the application update failed (couldn't copy PDANavigator, or something like that..) This failed several times and I found this forum. I tried copying just the PDANav file from the CAB file on the computer and it gave me an IO Device error. That's when I tried to format.

Any wise bits of wisdom from the people who've been in the trenches.

Welcome to the forum kvandivo. We certainly wish it had been to express the joy with the TT. I can offer no technical advice but someone who can is probably going to ask where and when you bought the unit. That may affect what suggestions you will get. Hope it works out well.

Did you do a backup (Explorer) prior to trying any update? When you connect it to the computer (not Home) does the computer recognize an external drive is added? If so, can you use Explorer to see what's on it?

Did you actually download an updated map? If so, it should be here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

If so, can you connect the unit to the computer. Right click on the unit's drive in Windows, Properties, Tools, Repair and let it do so.

Then try the format (not quickformat).

Connect to Home and you should be offered an application. Accept it. Disconnect properly from Home (use the device disconnect icon). Restart, connect to Home, Manage My DEvice, computer, maps, install.

Ask a Question