TomTom worked well out of the box.... but...

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
now that I've spent a few days around home, I'm a bit surprised at the inaccuracies, not just routing, but in the POI placement. A McDonalds was "located" where a Wendys should have been - the McDonalds was 1/4 mile up the road. When I moved it to the correct location, I lost the icon. None of the BP/Amoco stations in my area are shown. I've selected to receive only corrections verified by TomTom, and they are SO WRONG.

As I live in a tourist area, I'm willing to spend the time and effort to make the MapShare corrections, in the hopes that people will do the same in areas I'd like to visit sometime. However, TomTom won't let me correct inaccurate POI locations and names.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

This deserves some discussion

I'm bumping this thread, because I feel it's an important issue. I've corrected hundreds of POIs in my local area in the past few weeks and continue to be amazed at the inaccuracies. One bank was located halfway down a two-lane country road between Boone and Foscoe (6 miles apart) when it should have been 12 miles (and three towns) further down the road in Banner Elk.

Q:Who is entering these and who is verifying them?
A: Someone who can't read a map.

I'd like to see some discussion and advice on the best way to make the corrections. Mapshare is easy, but I suspect it is the long way around for corrections actually showing up on all our TomToms. I've also sent corrections directly to TomTom and to TeleAtlas for more important changes, such as inaccurately named roads.

I'd be willing to send in a CSV file listing the important corrections, if that would be more effective.

As mentioned, I live in a tourist area of the NC mountains, where correct POIs would be a real benefit to visitors, and I'd do this in the hopes that people living in areas I will someday visit will do the same.

What's the best way to accomplish these corrections?

I don't think you should assume the POI inaccuracies are coming from tomtom users through mapshare.

Fully 75 percent of the POI's I've tried are wrong in the tomtom database and this is using maps before mapshare was available. It's the nature of the tomtom beast. generally what you're looking for is in the area....sometimes close by and sometimes a looooooong way off.

we can only hope mapshare will correct many of these over time.

I'm in the same boat, today I was trying out my new 920 and the only POI that was correct for my town was a post office that has been there forever.

I came home and synced it up, and told it to accept map changes from many users and all the problems went away. I went back out again and like magic the tomtom was back to great.

Give the accept from many a shot and see if it helps you. Made a world of difference for my small town.

I purchased my Go 720 about a week ago and updated the map, etc. There were many POI's that were a bit off that I had to correct. The thing is I'm not sure that Mapshare would even correct this problem unless every user that experienced that particular POI inaccuracy placed the POI in the exact same correct location. Frankly I don't understand why this is the case you would think TomTom would have the correct addresses to all of its POI's in its database. Its a bit disappointing to be honest. My nuvi 350 is always right on as far as POI's.

Last edited:
I don't think you should assume the POI inaccuracies are coming from tomtom users through mapshare.

Fully 75 percent of the POI's I've tried are wrong in the tomtom database and this is using maps before mapshare was available. It's the nature of the tomtom beast. generally what you're looking for is in the area....sometimes close by and sometimes a looooooong way off.

we can only hope mapshare will correct many of these over time.

I assumed the POIs that were waaaaay off the correct location were put in by someone who couldn't read a map and passed on by TomTom without any verification. OTOH, I've selected to receive only updates verified by TT. Most, if not all, of the errant POIs were on the new map before any MapShare updates were made.

So is the problem with TeleAtlas maps, or TomTom's use of the maps?

I'm not sure why they are off so frequently. It may be teleatlas as I've had a garmin that had way more poi's which were pretty darned accurate. I think the garmin used navteq.

Off the mark Poi's have been a major disappointment for me with the tomtom, and upgrading the maps has done nothing to fix it.

I dont believe that the map has anything to do with it. I believe that the coordinates in the POI files are off.

rob

I agree with Rob here. I don't think it's bad map data, but the coordinates of the POI are just off.

Well no flame intended, but a POI is essentially a mark on a map and if that mark is off, then I don't know what you'd call it other than bad maps. :)

I've only had my XL a few weeks and am already sick and tired of correcting POI's. I really don't understand how SO MANY can be wrong. Though it's hard to say if the POI data is wrong or the map data is wrong. TomTom uses TeleAtlas which, from what I've read online, seems to be inaccurate for North America (I'm in Canada). I've also encountered problems finding street addresses. I looked up the address for my place of work, which is on the corner of its respective street and the TomTom showed it halfway down the block!

I'm considering returning it and going to Garmin, however I REALLY hate the interface - I've played with it at a local store and it just doesn't have all the features of TT's interface.

There really should be a way to download and install NAVTEQ map data like Garmin uses.

Ask a Question