TomTom Traffic Just Keeps updating?

TomTom Model(s)
4.3 XL
Hello Everyone! Great forums and my first post here!

I just purchased a TomTom with traffic (NOT HD). I have had 1 connection with the Green Circle for traffic since ownership. Every other time I keep getting that updating moving arrow that shows it's trying to find a traffic signal

Any ideas why I'm having this issue with the traffic funcationality?

Thanks!

Where are you located, and what model XL do you have?

I just purchased a TomTom with traffic (NOT HD). I have had 1 connection with the Green Circle for traffic since ownership. Every other time I keep getting that updating moving arrow that shows it's trying to find a traffic signal

Any ideas why I'm having this issue with the traffic functionality?
If I correctly understand the way that the "normal" traffic system works (which may not be true), it uses an FM signal broadcast by a local station that is usually operated by a city or other local government agency, or by a private company under contract to some agency. The signal source is not supplied by a GPS company like TomTom.

If you are in a relatively rural area or small town, the signal may not be available because it is not being broadcast.

As I said above, my information may not be correct, but this is what I have read elsewhere.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I am located in a large metro area which is serviced by Total Traffic Network utilized by TomTom. You might verify that your city is in the service area (which I assume it is since you have been able to receive traffic info in at least one occasion).

See this link for a comprehensive listing and other information pertinent to RDS-TMC service issues.

I've found the service in general to be quite good considering the updates could be up to 15 minutes behind actual conditions. There are times when I will get out of range of the local FM radio station coverage. In some cases, putting my GPS power cord 'higher up' in my car does make for better range.

Welcome to TTF; enjoy the 340!

I am located in a large metro area which is serviced by Total Traffic Network utilized by TomTom. You might verify that your city is in the service area (which I assume it is since you have been able to receive traffic info in at least one occasion).

See this link for a comprehensive listing and other information pertinent to RDS-TMC service issues.

I've found the service in general to be quite good considering the updates could be up to 15 minutes behind actual conditions. There are times when I will get out of range of the local FM radio station coverage. In some cases, putting my GPS power cord 'higher up' in my car does make for better range.

Welcome to TTF; enjoy the 340!
Thanks for the posts and replies, all! Appreciated...

I think I get it now, I checked the map and it seems as if mine is not covered (city). But when I got nearer to the other city I must've picked up their signal momentarily.

Here's another quick question, if the receiver doesn't have a signal and I drive into an area/ city that does transmit - in theory, should it pick it up automatically or do I have to turn the unit on/ off to tell the TomTom that it has entered a new area?

You may have hit on it (coverage when close to 'the other city', whatever that is. "Michigan, USA" wasn't specific enough for us to suggest that you aren't covered, but that's why I asked. Your IP address indicates a location somewhere in California, so that didn't help, either.

If you do enter an area with RDS transmission, it should pick that up automatically.

You may have hit on it (coverage when close to 'the other city', whatever that is. "Michigan, USA" wasn't specific enough for us to suggest that you aren't covered, but that's why I asked. Your IP address indicates a location somewhere in California, so that didn't help, either.

If you do enter an area with RDS transmission, it should pick that up automatically.
Okay thanks. Does it really pick up a California IP? That's interesting, I'm at work about 2000 miles Northeast of California! haha

Server host may be there. For privacy purposes, won't reveal where I think you really are, not that it matters ............ :)

Ask a Question