tomtom start europe 25 routes

Hi all,

So every time I go and use the tomtom device it keeps trying to take me through these back alleys and routes I would never take I am trying to stay on the motor way as long as possible not go through these dual carageways I want to stay on the A1 or on the motor way as long as possible and then the tomtom keeps telling me to get off and then turn around when possible if not on the fastes setting how do I change it so I stay on the motor way or not go on the A10 instead of the A1 mostly when going back to cambridge from luton I cant figure it out..

also some times it says right turn ahead when clearly its a left turn and the updates are all up to date

It's only got a little brain.....
If you have it set to calculate "Fastest" routes and it thinks a different route from yours is faster, then it will suggest that!

But it's only a suggestion, and that's never as good as local knowledge. If you know a better route, then take it and the TomTom will soon catch up.

----------------------

If you want someone to check a specific route (eg from Luton to Cambridge), then can you post again with EXACT details of the route it is offering and the route you think it should take, as it's not very easy to work out from your first post? (no full stops for a start!).

---------------------------

I just tried getting my Go 940 to plan a fastest route from the centre of Luton to the centre of Cambridge and it used mainly the A505 as far as Royston and then the A10 for the rest of the way.
That seems the most obvious route. There are no motorways nearby to use instead and the A1 is nowhere near, so I don't know where you're finding that!

As for it suggesting right turns when it then shows a left, I think you are going to have to give us some specific examples before we can start to investigate...

thanks for your fast reply.

But most of the time I dont know where I am going so I cant chose where to go but it seems to take me off the motor way all the time like times when I should stay on the m11 it keeps telling me to exit... as I come closer to cambridge I can guess some times but then I am not 100% sure so I just listen to the device and go through back alleys..

really the A1 is no where ner cambridge? you have to go along the a505 and then the a10? I try new settings fastes and the other one but the other one is worse.

ok in London (kingston) to be exact on the way home to Cambridge it keeps saying right turn ahead when clearly its a left turn I dont know what the road is called but I dont know any of the roads in London

Do not select "shortest", always use "fastest" for normal trips.

it seems to take me off the motor way all the time like times when I should stay on the m11 it keeps telling me to exit... as I come closer to cambridge
OK here's the route my TomTom Go1005 takes from Luton to Cambridge:

3498d1321534639-tomtom-start-europe-25-routes-luton-cambridge_tomtom.jpg

And here's what Google maps suggests, exactly the same:

3499d1321534648-tomtom-start-europe-25-routes-luton-cambridge_googlemaps.jpg

Both go via the A505, a little way on the A1M and the rest of the way on the A10.
What route would you go?

ok in London (kingston) to be exact on the way home to Cambridge it keeps saying right turn ahead when clearly its a left turn I dont know what the road is called but I dont know any of the roads in London
We still can't really comment specifically unless you give a better idea of where you are talking about.
But this is probably down to the TomTom mapping recognising the road shape as a BEND (which doesn't need a voice instruction) FOLLOWED BY a right turn, whereas you are thinking of it as a left turn followed by a right turn.

The way to check is to listen to the distance it says. If it says something like "In 600 yards turn right but you do are doing a left in only 100 yards, then that is what is happening.

Attachments

• Luton-Cambridge_TomTom.jpg
    Luton-Cambridge_TomTom.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 966
  • Luton-Cambridge_GoogleMaps.jpg
    Luton-Cambridge_GoogleMaps.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,125
thank you very much.. also when I go from Kingston London to Cambridge I am supposed to stay on the m11 but the tomtom device keeps telling me to come off it and go the long way on the "fastes" setting and the other one is worse.. I know I am supposed to stay on the m11 so its easy but what about other times when I have no idea where I am going and it does the same?:)

As I said in my first reply, it has a small brain and makes simple decisions.
If it finds a route which is 1 minute faster, it will suggest that route.
Until you get some figures for us to look at we can't say if that is sensible in any particular situation or not.

So I suggest if you want to get to the bottom of it, write down the distance and time to travel it reckons for this route
Then use "Calculate alternative" and "Travel via,.." to force it to go by the route you want to go by and write down the new distance and time figures.
Let us know what you discover.

And how about that Luton to Cambridge route? How was it different from how you want to go?

Ask a Question