TomTom Route Recalculation Problem

Well I have now received a response from the relevant Highways Authority (East Sussex County Council) and this is what they say:

The route you mention through Southease is unusual in that there are two short sections of it that are not designated Public Highway.
As far as the road and access along it is concerned, the road is correctly signed as a dead-end.

A section of road is gated towards the Southease station end, on land that is not designated public highway and owned by Network Rail. I understand that this gate is permanently locked, although local residents and businesses have keys. The bridge and crossing over the Ouse is also non-highway and owned by the Environment Agency.
The County Council have no control over the functions of private Satellite navigation companies, who obtain their data from third party sources.

I trust TomTom will now accept that their recommended route is not a public highway throughout and should not therefore be shown by their mapping. What has to be done to get it removed from the mapping database?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have now received a response from the relevant Highways Authority (East Sussex County Council) and this is what they say:

The route you mention through Southease is unusual in that there are two short sections of it that are not designated Public Highway.
As far as the road and access along it is concerned, the road is correctly signed as a dead-end.

A section of road is gated towards the Southease station end, on land that is not designated public highway and owned by Network Rail. I understand that this gate is permanently locked, although local residents and businesses have keys. The bridge and crossing over the Ouse is also non-highway and owned by the Environment Agency.
The County Council have no control over the functions of private Satellite navigation companies, who obtain their data from third party sources.

I trust TomTom will now accept that their recommended route is not a public highway throughout and should not therefore be shown by their mapping. What has to be done to get it removed from the mapping database?
As Alfie said, map changes may take 2 -3 issues before appearing.

Good on you for taking up this item with the County Council.It is a pity though that it does not put up signs where the road ceases to be a public highway.

When I used Google Street View (chevron for chevron) coming off the A26 it ended at the crossing gates and only allowed going backwards.
It appears that drivers of regular vehicles only press the button in the shroud to get an opening of the crossing gate if deemed safe by the railway at that time whereas, according to the text under the stop sign, larger vehicles must use the phone at the crossing. Yet, the top panel at the button says Authorised Users Only, No Vehicle Access.
BTW, at the scale magnification to display 200 m / 100 ft dragging the little man over to Southease station clearly shows a break of the blue road line at the track.

Coming from over the Ouse, it really gets funny as the last 'forward' chevron is replaced by the reverse as ell as a right turn one. Selecting the right one, one is magically teleported to Drove Rd, Newhaven. (Trying the approach to the gate a few times originally very nearly drove me bunkers [but that SWMBO's job].)

Due to business practices TomTom cannot use data seen on Google copyrighted maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they'll definitely take updates from users. I had one instance north of Denver where TomTom had incorrectly included a special exit lane from an interstate highway (M road class) as a route-able road. Actually, it would have made a nifty shortcut to a particular part of town, but NO cars are allowed to use that route! It takes one to a bus lot, but there's also a way in and out of that lot for commuters, so the TomTom routing thought it would be really slick to route via that lot to save about 1 mile of extra travel. I noted that this wasn't permitted, and in a couple of map cycles, it was shut down for routing.

Ask a Question