TomTom ONE XL

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
I know most of us know that the ONE XL was released yesterday but since we have a proper forum for this I'll post the press release here. (credit goes to fanchee)

Apr 16 2007

TomTom Launches New TomTom ONE XL Product Range

~ TomTom ONE XL makes navigation even easier to use and safer with its extra large widescreen ~

April 16, 2007, Concord, Mass. ? TomTom, the world?s largest navigation solutions provider, today reveals the new TomTom ONE XL range with a super-sized 4.3 inch high-quality touch screen and a sleek new design.

The 4.3 inch screen guarantees drivers a clear view of the screen, while ensuring a stress free and safer journey on the road. Thanks to the enlarged screen drivers will have a better overview of the road ahead with more streets and information on display. The TomTom ONE XL is also traffic ready.

?We now have a great solution for everyone that would like to experience all benefits of the world?s best-selling navigation device TomTom ONE, combined with the ease of use of an extra large touch screen for added visibility and the possibility of receiving traffic information on the device. The TomTom ONE XL range has it all included and is a perfect addition to our product portfolio,? said Harold Goddijn, TomTom chief executive officer.?

The new TomTom ONE XL ensures easy to use navigation for consumers thanks to the high quality navigation features available on all TomTom devices, such as free QuickGPSfix software, complete maps and fast route calculation.

In addition, drivers have access to all TomTom PLUS services including safety real-time traffic and weather reports, updates on road conditions and the TomTom Buddies feature.

In conjunction with the TomTom ONE XL, a range of new accessories is being launched to complement the design and usability of the TT ONE XL. The range includes carry cases, different mounting solutions, and a fast home charger.

Users also get access to TomTom HOME. TomTom HOME is TomTom?s free software application enabling users to manage, download, store and transfer content from their computer onto their TomTom device. Via TomTom HOME users can easily plan routes, download voices, obtain traffic alerts and install maps to keep their TomTom up to date at anytime.

TomTom offers a wide range of devices, as well as the TomTom ONE XL, to suit every driver?s need. These include:
- TomTom GO 910: pre-installed maps of Europe, USA and Canada, text-to-speech technology, hands-free calling and 20GB hard drive enabling drivers to play music and view images
- TomTom GO 510: pre-installed maps of the US and Canada on a SD card, hands-free calling via Bluetooth-enabled phones
- TomTom ONE: TomTom?s ultra light, entry level portable navigation device with maps of the US and Canada
- TomTom RIDER: the portable all-in-one navigation solution designed specifically for motorbikes and scooters
- TomTom NAVIGATOR 6: the new integrated solution for mobile phones and PDA?s.

== END ==

SOURCE: Link

See, I have a problem with this type of thinking. Given that TomTom relies heavily on their much-touted 3D navigation, why would making the screen wider be considered better? Wouldn't making the screen taller be better? Who cares how much more you get to see of the side roads, how about the road you're currently driving on?

It just seems silly to me.

See, I have a problem with this type of thinking. Given that TomTom relies heavily on their much-touted 3D navigation, why would making the screen wider be considered better? Wouldn't making the screen taller be better? Who cares how much more you get to see of the side roads, how about the road you're currently driving on?

It just seems silly to me.

Probably because they expect most people to use 3D model. In that mode, a wider screen would make more sense.

In 2D, a taller screen would make more sense.

Why? Well with 3D, there's only so much you can "see" ahead before you hit the horizon. With a wide screen, you can see what's beside you (POIs for example or if there are a lot of turns in your route)

Probably because they expect most people to use 3D model. In that mode, a wider screen would make more sense.

In 2D, a taller screen would make more sense.

Why? Well with 3D, there's only so much you can "see" ahead before you hit the horizon. With a wide screen, you can see what's beside you (POIs for example or if there are a lot of turns in your route)

See, I feel 3D mode makes it the opposite -- a taller screen would do better. In 3D mode you wouldn't be able to see anything on the sides until you're right up on it anyway, so what's the point in a widescreen? A taller screen would allow 3D mode to "spread out" more top to bottom, allowing for you to see side streets coming up more in advance.

That's just my take and experience with it -- I'm sure opinions vary.

Ask a Question