TomTom One - Reformat?

Apparently I have some corrupted files on my TomTom One (3rd edition) as I can't load or delete anything from it now because I get I/O device errors.

It works and everything, I just can't transfer stuff to/from it.

Is there someplace I can get the default files that came with the TomTom? I'd like to reformat it and be finished with the issue. Does the factory CD have the files on it, or is there a place I can download them from?

Thanks,

BC

You can always get the firmware for your unit from TomTom's site directly. It's free. But, do you have your map backed up? In fact, do you have a complete backup?

No, I've not backed anything up. I have no clue where to start and I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and was counting on having this #$%$ thing.

I went into TT Home and tried to restore and it says there is nothing to restore.

I just took the TT out with me and it is spotty at picking up satelites, and it won't store any favorites and locks up when I enter an address.

I have no idea how this happened as it worked 3 weeks ago, and tonight it was screwed up as soon as I plugged it in, and it's not even been connected to a computer since I last used it.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on what to do? Do I backup the maps and then delete the files on the TT, copy the map files back, and then let it update everything from there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why not try a pin reset on the unit first? If your model does not have a reset hole, then hold the power button for about 15 seconds, until you hear the sound of the drums.

I've tried the pin reset. It's shuts down and then nothing happens. I've held it in for up to a minute and it never reboots.

I just tried backing it up using TT Home and it gives me an error in trying to access the files.

I just tried copying and pasting the map files to my hard drive, and I keep getting an error (i've attached a print screen).

Yes, I can go in and see the files on the unit using the explorer.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Is the map on your unit the original or have you updated the map since you got your unit using Home?

It's the original plus the map corrections that I download from TT Home.

I've not updated anything though since the last time I used it which is why I can't figure out why it's not working.

Well, if it is the original map, then the problem is that you have no backed up map even if you wanted to format the unit.

Is the battery fully charged?

Also, don't know if this will help but with the unit connected, go to this link, download the Clear Flash tool and run it.

See if that helps.

That didn't work.

Would TT support be of any help if I call them once they open or will I get the cold shoulder since it's an old model?

I may just end up seeing how many pieces I can break it into with my hammer.

I appreciate all your help.

Well, Support is not open Sundays. The number is 866-486-6866.

Can you get the unit to the preference choice of Restore to Factory Defaults?

Not worth the reminder of why a backup is always a good idea...... but maybe a hard lesson learned.

Sorry.............

I've not had a chance to call TT customer service because I didn't bring the GPS on my trip.

However, I borrowed a friend's TomTom One. I think it's the 125 version. I have the 3rd edition. Is it possible for me to copy the files off of their 125 to my computer, and then transfer them to my GPS? That way I'm starting fresh and all corrupted files are gone!!

I know my odds of this being an option are slim to none, but I wanted to check to see.

Thanks!

Ask a Question