TomTom ONE 3rd edition reformat?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition
Hi. I recieved a refurbished TomTom ONE 3rd Edition for Father's Day. Out of the box it worked great, we went for a drive with it and the map was awesome.

Whe I got home an plugged it into my computer it installed TomTom Home and right away updated the map, while installing the map it froze, and now there are 'ghost files' on the unit somewhere.

It says there are no maps found and when I try to download and install the original map it tells me there's not enough room on the unit and asks me to remove some items. The odd thing is when it asks me to remove items it says the amount of space taken up on the unit does not equal the amount of items installed on the device. There is around 500MB of free space on a 950 MB unit, and tehre is maybe 50MB of items installed on the unit.

Has anyone seen this? I tried running a disk check on it and it came back with no errors. I've selected 'show hidden files', and there no hidden files that I can see (unless they are very bruied)

Can I format it through Windows Vista and then run an update through TomTom Home? Or should I call TomTom support first?

I don't suppose you made a backup prior to updating, hopefully Explorer, not Home?

No it's TomTom Home, and I didn't get a chance to backup, as soon as Home started up it started downloading the updated map.

Well, if it dl the map, it's on the computer. You can:

1. Open home and move to Items on the Computer. See if Maps listed. If so, click 'more info, to ensure it is the proper (updated) map. Also, check if Applications is listed and, if so, the updated version.

2. If so, then use Explorer to format the drive on the unit.

3. Use Home to Add maps--(the new map) to the unit.

4. Use Home to add the application to the unit.

See whether things work then.

Yep. What probably happened is you've got a partially installed map, so fragmented files are taking up most of the available space.

So I did end up calling TomTom Trchnical Support, waited for about 15 min. And in the end they told me the same thing, to do a format. And now it's working again.

Ask a Question