TomTom One POIs

After recently returning a Nuvi 660 (too expensive for the features I actually used), I am considering purchasing a TomTom One now that the price has dropped to $199.

My biggest concern with purchasing the unit is what appears to be a sub-par POI database (I am in the US). Specifically, it sounds like the database is much smaller than the Nuvi. It also sounds like the restaurants are also not in categories which seems like a minor annoyance.

I know that some have upgraded to North America maps to get more POIs. I am mainly interested in the One because of the price, so I really don't want to spend a lot more on extra maps.

How much of an annoyance is the smaller POI database?

I have heard some talking about a new version of maps coming out in October. Does anyone know if these maps will have a larger POI database or any idea of a price point? Will a free upgrade be offered to those who recently purchased a One?

Not sure about the new units POIs or updates but I do have teh V2 One and have added a ton of POIs from here and other websites. So I guess it just depends on whether you want to play around with the unit and tweak it to your liking.

After recently returning a Nuvi 660 (too expensive for the features I actually used), I am considering purchasing a TomTom One now that the price has dropped to $199.

My biggest concern with purchasing the unit is what appears to be a sub-par POI database (I am in the US). Specifically, it sounds like the database is much smaller than the Nuvi. It also sounds like the restaurants are also not in categories which seems like a minor annoyance.

I know that some have upgraded to North America maps to get more POIs. I am mainly interested in the One because of the price, so I really don't want to spend a lot more on extra maps.

How much of an annoyance is the smaller POI database?

I have heard some talking about a new version of maps coming out in October. Does anyone know if these maps will have a larger POI database or any idea of a price point? Will a free upgrade be offered to those who recently purchased a One?

I would not be too concerned about the size of the poi database on the one. Many of the pois on my 510 are way off. One shows a Chinese Restaurant when in fact it is an autobody shop. Another shows a retail store where there is a hillside of trees. As wlepse said- there are numerous pois here for you to add!!!

Thanks for the replies. One more question ...

Do I need to be worried about where I purchase the One? I am considering purchasing it at either Best Buy or Amazon. I have heard of version 1 and version 2, and I want to make sure I get the latest and greatest one (but not the 3rd edition). Not sure if stock turns slower at BB than it would at Amazon.

I have seen a lot of legit places selling these for around 150 right now...I think it was last week I posted about a deal at Toys R Us for $144. As for the versions I believe V1 was Europe only and was a bit thicker....V2 are the ones you'll find on sale here in the states since the V3 just came out.

Ask a Question