Loading POIs from TomTom desktop app..

Hi

I'm new to Sat Navs. I have bought a TT 510 (I think) and want to load more POIs onto it. I have a docking station, which I plug into my PC and sit the unit into it; then I can use the TomTom Home app to load more POIs from TomTom itself.

The problem is that this seems like an *extremely* tedious task >> I select a POI type and it asks me whether I want to install. I install that one and then the application reverts back to the home screen, where I need to once more page through to find the next one I want to load. And again, and again. All this takes ages so I gave up.

I thought there would be some way of checkboxing/flagging all of the POIs I want to load and then press the install button once and it loads all of the onto my TomTom.

Is there such a way to load?
Or have I just got it plainly wrong?

Another way to load POI files is to download them from various web sites that offer free POI files and simply copy them to the device using Windows Explorer, don't go mad with loads of Custom POI files though as there is a limit to the number your device will accept of one hundred custom categories, each single category can contain thousands of individual locations though. One web site with a large selection of free custom POI files is PocketGPSWorld.com although these are mostly (but not all) UK based files, there are plenty of other sites though that offer files in the TomTom compatible (ov2) format - Mike

Thanks Mike.

So are there any differences in the POIs loaded via TT Home and those loaded via other sites.

And do you have a 'how to' guide of loading POIs onto a TT via Explorer? Which files do I copy to which folder, etc?

Thanks
Arjay..

In the case of the PGPSW POI files simply select the categories you want (keep each download to around 20 Categories otherwise you won't get any files, but you can make multiple downloads with no time limit). Once you have the download simply unzip it and extract all the files straight to your map folder on the device.
Your device will show up as a removable drive with its own drive letter when viewed in Windows Explorer or an unzip application, your map folder will be named UK&ROI, United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland or Western_Europe (assuming you are located in the UK) Once the files are in the map folder thay can be used to Navigate to as well as a whole host of other options - Mike

Ask a Question