TOMTOM ONE - OEM card dead...

Did exactly that up to plugging device into computer and seeing if HOME recognizes it. Everytime I plug device into Home then the card gets corrupted, ie - lost maps, can't read, etc. Got HOME to recognize device with card last night. Everything seemed good, started backup, it crashed w/ license error and then device stopped recognizing card. Had to reformat and reinstall everything again. AFRAID to plug into HOME again! :eek:

So when you were able to get the maps through the SD reader it was fine right? I think after that point, you should plug in your SD card into the TT device and see if everything is ok. If it is, at that point plug in the device to the computer and see if HOME recognizes the device and sees the maps are installed. Once you verified everything is OK, then do the backup.

It sounds like you were trying to perform the backup through the SD reader and the HOME application didn't like that and crashed.

I think you should disable HOME and make your backup by just dragging and dropping the files into a new folder on your hard drive.

Did exactly that up to plugging device into computer and seeing if HOME recognizes it. Everytime I plug device into Home then the card gets corrupted, ie - lost maps, can't read, etc. Got HOME to recognize device with card last night. Everything seemed good, started backup, it crashed w/ license error and then device stopped recognizing card. Had to reformat and reinstall everything again. AFRAID to plug into HOME again! :eek:

I just want to be completely sure we're on the same page. The only way you got the maps installed was through the SD reader i.e. You plugged in the SD card in the reader and the HOME app recognized it. You then installed the MAPS through HOME, took out the SD card plugged it in the TT1 and it works perfectly fine? Meaning your US/Canada maps are showing?

It sounds like perhaps the problem lies with the HOME app. Try completely removing the application from you computer and install the latest version of HOME from scratch.

If that doesn't help at all do you think you can post a screen shot of the error msg regarding the license error? I think it will help us more if we had that information.

Ok, got a multitude of problems going on. As of last night, maps on OEM card and One working. Today, deleted HOME from laptop running XP, reinstalled, connected ONE, HOME opens and downloads updates (GPS quickfix), then tells me it can not write to "volume XYZ". I cancel, click explore and see the content of ONE. All data is there. Chose to Backup, Nothing happens... click on deisconnect device, tell me device is in use. Basically hangs. Finally force close HOME, goto my computer and eject Device. ONE now tells me OEM SD card bad. Put card into reader, and get a message that can't read card, needs to be formatted. Formatted card and now reinstalling data by use of the card reader and dragging and dropping copied data from desktop folder to card. This is what I had to do yesterday to get data on. In the reader the card appears 'normal' (read/write). In the device ONE, it seems not to behave normally and especially will not let me write to it.

FAT

Tried both and didn't seem to make a difference, but did FAT.

Also seem to be getting a little closer to removing another obstacle. All my problems have been using my laptop (XP). A laptop which I just got back from our IT dept. They reformatted HD and reinstalled XP. I'm now on my iMac and w/ the device connected Home sees it and just installed the updates. It had no problem writing to the volume (OEM card). I'm now trying through HOME (device connected) to backup. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hmmm....when you formatted the card which file system did you use FAT32 or FAT?

When I check my SD card it's FAT.

FAT

Tried both and didn't seem to make a difference, but did FAT.

Also seem to be getting a little closer to removing another obstacle. All my problems have been using my laptop (XP). A laptop which I just got back from our IT dept. They reformatted HD and reinstalled XP. I'm now on my iMac and w/ the device connected Home sees it and just installed the updates. It had no problem writing to the volume (OEM card). I'm now trying through HOME (device connected) to backup. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hehe...I hope all is well. Update us.

Everything worked as designed using the iMac and not laptop running XP.

Still can't duplicate the OEM card and use it a 2gig, which started this little experiment. Maybe it's the SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig card or not?

Yeah, you should be able to get that to work using those instructions.

fanchee,

Wish I could, but this card (SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig) is not recognized by the TT One. It is recognized in my camera, in my device reader/PC as a drive, etc - BUT not in the ONE (no way, no how). :confused:

fanchee,

Wish I could, but this card (SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig) is not recognized by the TT One. It is recognized in my camera, in my device reader/PC as a drive, etc - BUT not in the ONE (no way, no how). :confused:

Is this your SD card:

ultra2-sd-2gb.jpg

Link: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1164)-SDSDH-2048-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_2GB.aspx

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Could it be an issue with that particular SD card??

digital-flex,

That's the one! And it could be (issue w/ particular card), but it's the only large card I have in the house and not feeling like buying a different make to test. Not feeling lucky w/ the ONE right now.

Oh, someone tell me a make that worked w/ their ONE and maybe I'll go pick one up tomorrow.

I think Wal-Mart has a 133x card that works. I got mine from amazon.com, but before that, used a Sandisk 2g (the regular card-not the super fast one.) Both of mine worked well.

Success!

Picked up a PONY 2gig and worked like a charm. Guess that means it does not like the SanDisk ULTRA II 2 gig.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it was just THAT card, or the Ultra II in general. In any case, glad you got one to work!

Wow... how did I miss this post?

I think I read somewhere the Ultra II doesn't work.... but that's a moot point now isn't it? Glad you got it all sorted!

Thanks everyone for their support and help! Learned soooo much 'bout my ONE, backing up, restoring, etc............ :)

Ask a Question