Are all TomTom OEM case zippers cheaply made?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I'm wondering if any of you use the OEM case for your TomTom. When I used to own my ONE XL, I purchased an OEM case for the XL. The case was nice and all, but the zipper always jammed almost 70% of the time. It was very annoying. Anyways, I sold the ONE XL last month along with the case.

As you know I now own a 720, so of course I went and bought an OEM case for the 720. Well the zipper design was still horrible. It jams 95% of the time, and because of that, the zipper handle broke off the second day of owning it. NewEgg is sending me a new replacement OEM 720 case as of today, but I have a feeling the same thing will happen. They were nice enough to just ship me out another brand new case without having me to send back the old one. They said I could just keep the old one.

Was I just an unlucky owner with 2 defects or do their zippers just suck? Does anyone here own an OEM TomTom case for either a ONE XL or 720?

If this new case zipper still ends up being sticky, I will contact TomTom directly, since it is their product. It's not NewEgg's fault. I wonder what TomTom would say to this.

Before putting the unit in the case, spray the entire zipper with silicon spray.

Before putting the unit in the case, spray the entire zipper with silicon spray.

Wow, I use silicon spray for everything and I didn't even think about spraying the zipper. Thanks!

Silicon spray does wonders for your car's window tracks if you see that your windows are sliding up and down very slowly. After spraying all along my window tracks, my windows haul ass! I hope the same happens with the zipper.

I mean, I said to my self "maybe it'll loosen up over time" but in 2 days, I go to open the unit and *clank*

Now, the ONE XL case seems to have a different jamming problem. The ONE XL case seems to have a flap of fabric for whatever reason all around on the inside of the zipper area. That fabric always gets caught with the zipper.

A lousy design, I'm afraid.

There are some reasonably priced camera cases that the unit will fit into.

Like DHN said spray it with silicone, that is what I did with the case I bought last spring I also put a bit of grafite on it and worked the zipper back and forth several times without the unit in it. I have had it since March and it works well.

Thanks for NOTHING dhn! I hate you! You just made me completely destroy my brand new case with the silicon spray!! It started ..... nah I'm just kidding. The zipper works PERFECT now! Thanks once again!

I did kinda mis-aim at the beginning and sprayed at the case by mistake, and caused the outside to shrivel a little but, but I could care less. The zipper works! :) It glides so smoothly now. This new case I just received today (Newegg ships FAST) had a tight zipper, but not anymore!

*Bows down to dhn*

Edit : Nevermind about the shrivel, it completely went away after the spray dried up.

Last edited:

Ask a Question