TomTom One 130 - need text-to-speech

Hi Friends,

My wife gifted me a TomTom One 130 GPS. She was under the impresssion that it had TTS (i.e one which would say "turn right at Oaks street"). But we figured out that its not available in this module.

Is there a way, we can add this feature to our TomTom One 130?

Please advice.

Hi Friends,

My wife gifted me a TomTom One 130 GPS. She was under the impresssion that it had TTS (i.e one which would say "turn right at Oaks street"). But we figured out that its not available in this module.

Please advice.
Sorry, but I don't believe that there is any way to get that functionality on your unit. The 130S has the text to speech functionality.

Can the unit be returned for a speech model?

I am having that as last option...but shouldn't it be like adding the computer voice file to the existing TomtOm One 130 to resolve this issue?

Am open to trying this option provided someone quides me to the location where I can download the "computer voice".

Is there any hardware difference between 130 and 130S

Please advice

Hi Friends,

Please advice.

If it were simply a case of downloading a computer voices, then all lower end models would have that capability; they do not.

One issue is storage space for the files, another is processing speed of the cpu chip necessary.

Okay I see what you are saying...

Still I would like to experiment the option of adding the Computer voice to TomTom One 130 and see if it works...is there a location where I can dowmload the computer voice from ??

Thanks again for helping me out

For the heck of it, what does Home show when you go to Add Maps/voices? (If Home < version 2.5), then it is Add Maps THEN arrow right 2 screens to Computer voices. If Home 2.5, then just select voices-->Computer and see if anything is offered.

Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to download "Samantha computer voice" from the TomTom Home and installed. Even checked my TomTom content and under voice its displayed.

But when I navigate in the Voice, I don't see Samantha listed.

However I installed another voice in Tamil language and am able to select it in the Voice.

Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to download "Samantha computer voice" from the TomTom Home and installed. Even checked my TomTom content and under voice its displayed.

But when I navigate in the Voice, I don't see Samantha listed.

However I installed another voice in Tamil language and am able to select it in the Voice.

Probably because it is NOT a computer voice.

Really wish that there was an easy solution to this, but I've tried it before and dhn is right - the 130 is not capable of processing TTS, even if you add the proper file.

The main difference between the ONE 130 and the ONE 130S is Text-to-Speech. And, of course, the 130S is generally $50 more at most stores. So there is a reason for the slightly higher price.

How long have you had it? If you act soon enough, depending on the retailer, you might be able to exchange it for the 130S.

The S models also have double the RAM. 64MB for the S and 32MB for the Non-S model. At least I know this is how the XL models are set up.

Last edited:
Can someone help me out...

I am not sure if I am not setting up something correctly but

I was told (and I can see here in the post) that TTS on 130S would tell me turning point and street:
- in 400 yards turn right on Broadway

but, it is just telling me to turn right in 400 yards

???

Can someone help me out...

I am not sure if I am not setting up something correctly but

I was told (and I can see here in the post) that TTS on 130S would tell me turning point and street:
- in 400 yards turn right on Broadway

but, it is just telling me to turn right in 400 yards

???

Ok, I think I have figure it out. For some reason I did not had Samantha (Female Computer) on my Tom Tom even if it was brand new unit???? Is this normal. So I guess I have to update it and it should work...

Ask a Question