TomTom in Endless Loop - Throw Away ?

To be clear, I recommend restoring NOTHING from backup.

Reformat, and let Tomtom home download and reinstall everything from their servers.
Doesn't he have to restore the maps? I didn't think that those could normally be downloaded from TomTom as a replacement.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I'm hoping the OP used latest map guarantee when he purchased the device. If so, Tomtom will be able to restore the maps too.

Maybe in that specific circumstance, but disagree in general...

Having already downloaded the most recent map once, if I try to recreate the system from scratch via Home downloads I am NOT offered the map again.
But if I restore a backup with an OLD map on it first, then I am offered the more recent map once again.

I'm also experiencing the same issue right now, my device (N14644) won't pass the TT splash screen. It can be recognized by my computer and I'm able to operate the device thru TT home but when I go back the device itself it won't go any further than the Splash screen...I'm running out of options, any suggestions will be deeply appreciate it!:(

I'm also experiencing the same issue right now, my device (N14644) won't pass the TT splash screen. It can be recognized by my computer and I'm able to operate the device thru TT home but when I go back the device itself it won't go any further than the Splash screen...I'm running out of options, any suggestions will be deeply appreciate it!:(
First - N14644 is not a model identification number, and it would help us be more specific if we knew the model. Look for a 12-digit letter & number string. On my GO LIVE 1535 unit, that is on the same sticker as a bar code, but I don't know that this is always true.

Second - which of the actions described above have you tried on your own unit, and what were the results in each case? This will help point us in the right direction.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

First - N14644 is not a model identification number, and it would help us be more specific if we knew the model. Look for a 12-digit letter & number string. On my GO LIVE 1535 unit, that is on the same sticker as a bar code, but I don't know that this is always true.

Second - which of the actions described above have you tried on your own unit, and what were the results in each case? This will help point us in the right direction.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Thanks for your reply, well I have done mostly everything described in this forum and others...update the software thru TT Home, I just downloaded the latest maps available for my device, also I removed that folder "mapsettings.cfg" file from the directory, I run the clear flash tool a few times too but nothing seems to work, the only I haven't done, I'm hoping not to do, is to reformat the internal memory, but it looks like it will be my last hope to get going...maybe this serial number will help you to identify my device...RUxxxxxxxxxx, Thanks for your help again!

Last edited by a moderator:
The RU prefix indicates that your device is an XL S IQRoutes version (aka in North America as the XL340S), 2GB memory. I'll strike the unnecessary part of the S/N for privacy.

Did you try running the emulator (Operate my Device) and managing a favourite by adding one, deleting one, or editing one? Then disconnecting completely from Home using the Device Disconnect icon?

Did you try running the emulator (Operate my Device) and managing a favourite by adding one, deleting one, or editing one? Then disconnecting completely from Home using the Device Disconnect icon?

I've done that already too.
Last thing I did was a backup of the device on my windows vista pc then I wiped out the internal memory and format it (not the quick one). After wiping I did put back only the folders files in the internal memory again but not the loose files. When I hooked up the device to "Home" it did ask me to update my device and I did. Now I'm NOT stuck on the splash TomTom screen window anymore but on the initial setup I only manage to get to the "Please set the correct time" setting window and then the device gets stuck again a few seconds there and reboots to start the process all over again. Actually I'm getting randoms reboots, sometimes is at the first initial setup window, sometimes is at the second one, etc. Something tells me that is time to get a new device..Now I am really out of options...:eek:

I've done that already too.
Last thing I did was a backup of the device on my windows vista pc then I wiped out the internal memory and format it (not the quick one). After wiping I did put back only the folders files in the internal memory again but not the loose files. When I hooked up the device to "Home" it did ask me to update my device and I did. Now I'm NOT stuck on the splash TomTom screen window anymore but on the initial setup I only manage to get to the "Please set the correct time" setting window and then the device gets stuck again a few seconds there and reboots to start the process all over again. Actually I'm getting randoms reboots, sometimes is at the first initial setup window, sometimes is at the second one, etc. Something tells me that is time to get a new device..Now I am really out of options...:eek:

I too spent four days trying to resolve a similar problem after I had accepted an update on my Win7 pc - then I just happened to see ONE of the MANY solutions being offerred in various forums which mentioned about disabling your antivirus or firewall software - mine was Max Secure Spyware Detector 2013 & was doing 'too good a job' in blocking all manner of files etc being downloaded properly so I disabled it first then went through the same process above & all is fixed now!

Ask a Question