Tomtom Home and 2 Tomtom's

If I buy a second Tomtom, how will Tomtom "Home" handle backups and etc? If the new unit has a later map, what will home think about the old map in my original unit that is stored in Home? Both would be the same ONE 3rd edition.

Last edited:
First of all, backups and restores are best done with Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. One benefit is that YOU get to name the folder you want the backup in.

Next, for a second device, same model or different model, create a SEPARATE account at TomTom for it. Makes life easier for you (and for Home, where you can change the email address log in for a different device).

Two Maps Owned

OK, then an addtional question. I will "own" two version of maps. Can the newest map be loaded in either or both units? Or can the old new map in the new unit be loaded in the original unit, if I get a free newest map download with the new unit? Are maps locked to each unit?

Last edited:
Was waiting for that question ...........:p

Unfortunately, the maps are indeed locked to a specific unit, even 2 of the same model can't share.

So you will have to be careful when updating maps as to what map is for which device. Otherwise, you'll start seeing errors like 'this map won't work on this device'...

Good News

Every once a while a nice thing happens. I called Tomtom and asked how much the Map Update Service would cost for my One 3rd with US and Canada, and they can not tell you! But the nice guy said that I would get the current map at half price and then I would see the price for the Map Update Service. So I started into the screens and the price was the full 79.95 for the current map. So I call back and a nice lady checked on things and said - OH! We will give you the 8.15 map for free and then you can sign up for the Map Update Service. I guess it was just my lucky day! Chris

OK, a little more info. When I went to sign up for Map Update Service it charged me 9.95 to get to the latest map and another 39.80 for four future updates.

Chris

Last edited:

Ask a Question