TomTom GO700 Tips...

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
This may actually work for other GOX00 models, too, but I thought I'd share a couple of things I learned recently.

1. Tired of squinting at the tiny font on the status bar for curent speed, arrival time, etc.? Use the status bar options feature to remove one of the status bar items from displaying. I removed the speed display, since most cars do provide a speedometer. ;) Just removing one of the status bar items makes the font HUGE by comparison, so it's much easier to read at a glance.

2. Can't see your GO700 screen when wearing sunglasses? I've noticed that if you angle the screen so you are looking at it more from the left, you'll be able to see it more clearly, even in bright sunlight while wearing sunglasses. I'm not sure if all the screens in the GO700's are the same, so you may want to just move your head from side to side first to see this will help you .

Hope someone else finds this useful!

I've actaully notice I can get the bigger font on my ONE as well. No need to have the MPH onthe TT as I have a huge speed-o-meter right in front of me... :)

I do however like the ETA clock running. Better than doing the math in my head, though I seem to do that anyway just to compare and see how accurate my brain is...

Thanks for sharing!

I like having the "real speed" showing on the TomTom. When mine's mounted (center of the windshield) it's list above my BA (big A$$) speedo in the center of the dash, but I'll still look at the TT for the speed.

I got rid of the time to destination and a few other things from my display.

How accurate is the speed indicator on the TomTom? I have a difference in about 3-4MPH (faster) than my Car's Speedo... (2005 Ford Five-Hundred)

In the Mini it's about 3 under indicated @ 70mph.
In the Trailblazer (wife's car) it's nearly 100% accurate.

Your TOM TOM is much more accurate than your speedo. In fact, some high tech boat speedometers have a GPS built in to ensure accuracy (boat speedos are notorious for being waaay off).

I'll bet it's tough to see your Tom Tom with sunglasses because your sun glasses are polarized. Try a different non polarized pair. It's hard to see any LCD with polarized glasses, unless you get the angle just right. To see if your specs are ploarized, take a pair of known polarized glasses, and line up one of the lenses with the test pair. Turn one of them 90 degrees. If all of a sudden, you cant see through them, you've got some polarized glasses. Or you can just wear them and look at one of those Chevy Lumina mini vans. If the windshield looks purpleish gold, you have polarized lenses. You can only see the uv coating on these windshields with polarized glasses.

Ask a Question