TomTom GO 910: Freezes at Splash Screen

In July 2006, I purchased a TomTom GO 910. About a month into use, the device would not get beyond the splash screen (aka, the photo of the device set in a white background).

I contacted TomTom and after several calls received a Return Maintenance Authorization (RMA), which you can only get from a Tier II technician. :rolleyes:

Today, I received a TomTom GO 910 in return. After viewing the TomTom HOME's emulator version on my PC, it looks like the product code is different so I know I got another device back versus a repair of the device I provided. :)

So anyway, I'm getting the same issue. The device when you "eject" it using TomTom HOME and/or if you turn on the device, it goes through the green-colored graphic and progress bar and then the photo-based splash screen. HOWEVER, it does not load beyond that point. :eek: :mad: :eek:

I'm beginning to wonder if it's my PC and/or my TomTom USB docking/charging station that is connected to my PC.:confused:

I've used the soft-reset feature for 10 seconds or greater using the paperclip in the underbelly of the mount. And, I've let the device sit for (many) more than a few minutes hoping that the splash screen will finally go away. All to no avail.

The new version is using v6.51 software and my TomTom HOME is at v1.3 build.

Any assistance would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome,
How long do you wait for the unit to boot up after connecting to home?
I know it takes longer than usual to boot up when starting after using tomtom home.
When doing the soft reset, it's recommended by tomtom to do this only when the device is fully charged (2 hours I believe).

Thank you both for your replies. But, it's all about the battery strength. After letting the unit charge via the PC mount overnight, all is well.

I did have a similiar issue with my first unit but I did allow it to charge for several days, but that was a bad unit. This one seems to be pretty good.

On a side note, after getting the unit to work, I went to load it in my car and much to my chagrin, the x10 mount broke... GO FIGURE.

So, I've ordered a new mount via the TomTom website, which will take four weeks.

Ask a Question