TomTom Go 720 problems

TomTom Model(s)
Pro 7150
Hi Folks,
My go 720 developed a fault where it wouldn't recognise my Western Europe maps. I decided to backup and remove the map from my device. When i tried to restore my device with Western Europe it came up with a fault and aborted the restore. I now have no maps on my TomTom. Any ideas on how a fix the problem?:confused:

Many thanks SB

Have you EVER done a backup using your computer's OS instead of using Home for the backup? Or I should just ask - you did you do that backup?

What kind of fault took place? Please be as specific as possible, cutting and pasting error messages if necessary. Was this error from Home or your computer's OS? Again, we don't yet know how you did the backup.

Have you ever updated your W.E. map, even to the extent of using the Latest Map Guarantee way back when you got your unit? Or purchase one?

The backup from Home will put everything in a folder here:
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups\GO\

Downloaded (e.g., LMG or purchased) maps will appear in folders here:
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map\

Hi,
This is the fault that comes up:

ERROR: HomeBase/TLV/XML: Invalid TLV XML file
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(113)
XML Error in line 1: syntax error
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:113
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);
Time: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:31:06 GMT

i've only ever done 1 backup and it this is the one with a damaged file above. The backup was done through TomTom Home.

Hope this helps? SB

That was likely to be your problem to begin with. The *.tlv file belongs in the "maps" folder (not the folder with your W.E. map, just the folder called "maps"), and tells your TomTom what's been loaded so that it doesn't go off looking for it.

I've heard mixed reports about what the unit does if the *.tlv is missing altogether. It's binary in large part, so it can't be reconstructed with a text editor.

Copy what's left of that file to someplace safe (just in case we can find something to do with it), then delete it, then try your restore again. It may not even copy if it's corrupted badly enough by the OS.

Hi,
I removed the file and it managed to restore all the way to the end. Once i pressed done it came up with the origional problem "You cannot use this map on this device: western _Europe"

Back to square 1

SB

OK - here's the deal. It is possible that the *.tlv file really is important to the installation. That said, and while the *.tlv file IS keyed to your device, it is not THE key for your maps. If someone would be good enough to provide me with a *.tlv for a matching version of the Western Europe map set, and the "AKxxx xxxxx" number off the unit, I believe I can modify it to work with your unit. Since you have all of the other files (in particular, the meta.dct file that IS the key), we have no reason to think that your exercise isn't 100% above board.

Do you know what version number your W.E. maps were/are? If not, just look at the third line of the file Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.pna in your W.E. map folder and that will be your 3 digit map version.

FWIW - it's another example of why we say that a clean operating system backup of the map information is so critical (we don't much trust Home). With that backup, we can get you out of nearly any ditch in which you might find yourself.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. How do i go about finding what western maps i have? I'm not very good with computers and could do with a step by step guide.

Many thanks SB

With the unit connected to the computer, use Windows Explorer (the file manager), NOT Internet Explorer (the browser) to look at the contents of the drive that represents the tomtom unit on your computer.

Look in the yellow folder called Werstern_Europe. Amongtst all the files in there will be a file called Western_Europe.pna. Open that with Notepad. It's there that canderson said to look for the value shown for the map you have.

Afternoon folks,
First of all i'd like to say thankyou to all the people who have tried to help me.
This morning i plugged my tomtom into home and a huge map download was available for download. Once downloaded my totmtom had a bit of a fit then came back to life! All seems to be working fine now.

Once again, many thanks SB

WHOA! It did WHAT? Now that is sweet. In the absence of the *.tlv file, Home found no valid map in the unit's 'inventory', and in turn grabbed one from the server. I thought that ONLY happened on an older unit when a person had a current map update subscription. Sure you didn't recently buy a map update for that thing? Gift horses and all that, I won't argue. Excellent!

NOW, before you do anything else, get that new backup done (and not using Home, either!). Here's our recommendation:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Fellow moderators (esp you guys in the UK) - what do you make of this? Have we stumbled upon something new?

Ask a Question