TomTom GO 700 CPU Clock Speed?

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
I've read a ton of technical reviews and even looking at the official TomTom specs, the GO 700 is supposed to have a 400mhz processor. If this is the case, then why when I do the reset-while-holding-the-power-button trick does the diagnositics claim the CPU is running at 288mhz? Is this what is reported with everyone else's GO 700? Anyone?

300: like the classic, without ASN but has bluetooth
500: like the classic, but has bluetooth and a 400 MHz ARM920T and a builtin mike
700: like the classic, but has bluetooth, a 400 MHz ARM920T, a builtin mike, 64MB memory and 2.5 GB harddisk but NO SD card interface
the 500/700 can be used as a carkit for your phone (if it has bluetooth)

700: like the classic, but has bluetooth, a 400 MHz ARM920T, a builtin mike, 64MB memory and 2.5 GB harddisk but NO SD card interface
the 500/700 can be used as a carkit for your phone (if it has bluetooth)

Well, that's what all the reviews and the official TomTom specs say, but that doesn't explain why my TomTom's diagnostic screen says it's running at 288mhz.

These are the replys I received from tomtom on this subject

The operation speed during boot up is set to 288 Mhz as the system is still setting CPU speed, data refrence and other critical hardware initialisation. Once the bootloader has set the CPU speed and loaded ROM and RAM intructions the OS and Navigation software is loaded a the full 400 Mhz speed.

This is due to the load sensitive CPU that is used, in order to save battery power many CPUs step the speed depending on the workload to save battery power.
When the Go is under no load when the Bios screen is brought up, the CPU is in power saving mode"
This is the reason the CPU is indicated as lower.

Thanks a ton for that great information! Makes sense to me! That's what I get for be a nerdy type who actually looks at the boot-up information and questions it. That'll teach me!

Ask a Question