TomTom 720 & SD card

I am new to this forum. I have done some checking of previous posts and can't find the answer I am looking for. I could use some help.

1. Can the SD card be used to store POI's, Favorites, Maps and such or is it only for MP3 and Photos?

2. Where does it explain how to use the SD card features? I couldn't find the info in the online or included cd manual.

3. If I download a new map within the 1st 30 days, what happens to the old one? Do I download it to the TOM TOM or to my computer or to the SD card? How do I know what version map I have?

Whew, where can I find all this information? The 97 page online manual doesn't seem to cover any of this.

Thanks so much for any help I get.

Paul

1) As I understand it, you can run anything off of the SD card including the TT itself.

2) What features do you mean? It's an SD card.

3) I'm not sure as I have not yet downloaded the latest Map set for North America. If you open TonTom Home and click on the map on the right side list or hover your cursor over it, it should tell you what version you have. Mine says I have 705.

I'm still a bit new at this myself, so I could be out to lunch on #1 or #2.

1. POI's are always stored inside a map folder. Favorites are stored inside the 'MapSettings.cfg' file, which is also inside the map folder (a limit of 48, I believe). Everything on the SD card must be in it's own folder, with names like 'mp3' 'photos'.

2. ???

3. Your old map will most likely be overwritten. So you should have a backup on your computer in case you wish to use it again. (Some map upgrades turn out to be downgrades in some aspects!)

As to what you map version is, tap on the satellite bars, then on the 'Version...' box, and the info will appear.

Many seem to feel that they absolutely have to have an SD card. I think that most really can do all they want with the space on the internal memory. It's only when you acquire another map, say of Europe, or you want to play mp3's on the unit that you will need the card. Favorites and POIs take up very little space.

SD = memory card

To answer the # 2 Question.

An SD card is simply RAM memory. 512mb, 1gb, 2 gigaByte etc...you can load any digital information on an SD card just as you can load similar on to a hard drive. No difference other than size of data you want to store being limited by size of drive..or in this case the SD card.

My understanding is that the TT will read from both Std SD & HCSD cards (High Capacity: 4GB and up), however the Tomtom 2 Home desktop software will only allow you to add data to an SD card up to 2 gb in size. Something to do with the desktop software not supporting the HCSD cards.

That is something one would expect to see rectified in the future with newer desktop versions coming on stream.

hopefully that clears things up just like mud...Yes.?? :cool:

cheers,

stk

Ask a Question