SD Card Usage in TomTom 720

Ted

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hi folks,

I just purchased at TomTom 720. I'm curious how to use my SD card slot. I use SD cards all the time with Cameras, my PDA/Phone etc.

My TomTom, out of the box, came with a sticker over the SD slot and a dummy SD card in the slot. The sticker says "No SD required". This is funny because the current map that is recommended for download won't fit on the TomTom. It is even funnier because the device has been touted for it's photographic viewing and MP3 playing. Why can't I simply stick an SD card in and search through photos and music (photos and music in the very typical PC format--not the camera hierarchy and not itunes, just simply files of mp3s and jpegs.

It makes no sense that any things that need loading have to occur through TomTom Home. Imagine being out with camera and wanting to view? or on the road and buying MP3s, no sense to go to computer, which may or may not have TomTom home and then update machine. Why can't I have my SD card recognized?

Where in preferences (on the TomTom unit) would I say--"Hey search here for a map or mp3 or photo, as a matter of fact, hey--search the SD slot TomTom 720.

Regards and help,

Ted:eek:

Ted, for the SD card to be recognized, you need the TomTom application installed on the card. The easiest method is to copy everything from your internal flash drive except the map and paste it to the new bigger SD card.

Hi folks,

I just purchased at TomTom 720. I'm curious how to use my SD card slot. I use SD cards all the time with Cameras, my PDA/Phone etc.

My TomTom, out of the box, came with a sticker over the SD slot and a dummy SD card in the slot. The sticker says "No SD required". This is funny because the current map that is recommended for download won't fit on the TomTom. It is even funnier because the device has been touted for it's photographic viewing and MP3 playing. Why can't I simply stick an SD card in and search through photos and music (photos and music in the very typical PC format--not the camera hierarchy and not itunes, just simply files of mp3s and jpegs.

It makes no sense that any things that need loading have to occur through TomTom Home. Imagine being out with camera and wanting to view? or on the road and buying MP3s, no sense to go to computer, which may or may not have TomTom home and then update machine. Why can't I have my SD card recognized?

Where in preferences (on the TomTom unit) would I say--"Hey search here for a map or mp3 or photo, as a matter of fact, hey--search the SD slot TomTom 720.

Regards and help,

Ted:eek:

Just rec'd my 720 on Weds this past week. I immediatly downloaded the newer/offered NA map using the "map guarentee" on TT home. The file came down at a sustained 7 Mbit. It did fit w/o issues. Confirm'd alls working and add all my important POI's. 90MB of space remain.

I then insert a 2GB SD. Computer recognizes the new drive and instantly appears in My Computer.[not using the TT Home feature] Create 2 folders in this new found drive "letter" [not using the TT Home feature] one named mp3 and the other photo. Then as usuall.......sinply dragged desired mp3's and photo's [not using the TT Home feature]into their respective folders. Worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Ted, for the SD card to be recognized, you need the TomTom application installed on the card. The easiest method is to copy everything from your internal flash drive except the map and paste it to the new bigger SD card.

I did not install any applications on the SD card. Just named a folder as mp3.... and pasted some mp3s there.... inserted it to the tomtom... switched it on and went to the jukebox. it immediately recognized the mp3s....
The scenario where you have to install all the apps and every thing to get the tomtom to read the sd card is for tomtom one, i guess. you dont have to do that for tomtom 720....'

And on a side note, remember to delete all the thumb.dat files on the sd card when you copy and paste your photos or mp3s to the respective folders in the tomtom... That thumb.dat file(which is created by the computer to store the thumbnails) will make the tomtom slow in reading the photos.

Ask a Question