TomTom 2535M Live HD Traffic

What would be REALLY fun would be an anonymous but live (or even somewhat delayed snapshot) map of all of the 'probes' in use at any given time so as to see how well areas are being covered.

I have never tried a tomtom before (mostly Garmin) but want to give the 2535 live a try, got it from amazon for just over $300. I like the friction mount for the Nuvi I have now, looks likes this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=69365 . I like it because it doesn't use the suction cup which in the past when I used a suction cup they would sometimes lose suction and fall. Does tomtom or 3rd party places have any mounts like the Garmin one?

I'd love to see some sales figures for the 2535 here since the service is included for a year the traffic data will just get better and better. There are now 16 reviews on Amazon and maybe 5 on BestBuy almost all are 5 stars which should help push the product onto dashboards. As the user community grows the data will improve and improve and improve.

A poster on GPS Passion, Kex, tried a little experiment when TomTom was showing traffic backed up and it wasn't he drove through and circled back around. In less than 4 minutes his TT showed no traffic so it updated based on a users inbound data to them and damn fast too.

What would be REALLY fun would be an anonymous but live (or even somewhat delayed snapshot) map of all of the 'probes' in use at any given time so as to see how well areas are being covered.

I just received my 2535 live yesterday, I am having a problem getting it to connect to TomTom Home 2 on my computer to get the updates. Does the 2535 work with Home 2 or is there another way to get my updates?

I have to say I am pretty impressed with the 2535 live so far. Only used it twice so far and no traffic to deal with so not sure how the HD Traffic is but so far I really like it. I have the Nuvi 2460 too for about 2 months and I think I may try to sell it and keep the 2535. It's just all the little things on the 2535, like POI's on the screen and some with the Company Icon (i.e. Mcdonalds, Perkins, Dairy Queen, Subway, etc.) and choosing which poi's show on screen, pretty neat how it will speak the weather report, being able to turn zoom on and off on either 2D or 3D view separately, more streets seem to show longer when zooming out, I love how you can switch between 2D and 3D right on the map, there's just to much to remember there is definitely more to customize then any Nuvi I've had. The magnetic mount works really well.
One thing I would like to see changed is when you do a Google search it would give you a list of categories to choose from like on the internal poi search instead of just typing something to search for. Also would be nice to tap on a poi on the map and see what it is.

I think a long time Garmin user is now TomTom fan.

Last edited:
restore favorites

I just got my new 2535 M Live (upgrading from a Go 630) and am trying to figure out how to update my favorites. I have the MapSettings.cfg file from my Go 630 but can't find the map folder to replace the file like I used to do with TomTom Home. Any ideas on my to do this with the newer TomToms or do they all have to be manually entered?

Also, I installed myTomTomSA since the new device no longer seems to use TomTom Home. I downloaded the new map and updated all software (and linked device to my old account) but it never asked me to enter 'activation code' for my Lifetime Maps. Does it do that automatically? Can't find the answer in the TomTom support section other that to download the new TomTomSA app which I've done. Thanks.

Last edited:
You have no access to the file system on the 2X model so you can't copy the mapsettings.cfg from a previous map to the new one.

Using the web based app, connect and on the top right of the screen on the web page will be a green MyTomTom button. Click on it, log in with your email address to create an account if you don't have one and another menu item is activation code. That's where the code would be put to get lifetime maps.

If things go wrong (and they often do with this convoluted interface), then call CS at 866-486-6866.

I just got my new 2535 M Live (upgrading from a Go 630) and am trying to figure out how to update my favorites. I have the MapSettings.cfg file from my Go 630 but can't find the map folder to replace the file like I used to do with TomTom Home. Any ideas on my to do this with the newer TomToms or do they all have to be manually entered?
You can't copy directly to your new unit's "Favorites", but at least there's a decent solution to typing it all by hand.

You can use a program called POIEdit to open your existing mapsettings.cfg file, delete all of the entries in that file that are NOT your favorites (the file contains recent destinations and a lot of other stuff), and save the results as a POI file. You can then upload this "*.ov2" POI file to your new unit using MyTomTom. You can call it _FAVORITES.OV2 if you like so that it appears at the top of your POI list on your new unit.

You can find the POIEdit application here -> PoiEdit - Main

Thanks. They're having problems with their system. When I tried to enter the activation code, it'd take me straight to the software download page (even though it was already installed). I ended up calling like you suggested and they said they'd enter the activation code for me.

I have a Mac so I'll try and find a Mac compatible POI editor.

Any chance there is a mini-USB to new TomTom connector adapter(one that fits 2535 M Live) to power it in the car? I have Best Buy run the cable down the side of the dash to power it when the car is on? I've looked but I imagine I'll have to have them run a new cable. Thanks again.

I have a Mac so I'll try and find a Mac compatible POI editor.
Although there is software like GPSBabel that will create a POI file for a TomTom, I know of none that will also read the mapsettings.cfg file to begin with. Might be worth it for you to find a friend with a Windows based box long enough to create the *.ov2 file so you can load it to your new unit.

Do you guys in the states not have the TomTom "Content Transfer Assistant" yet?

It's a downloadable prog. that scans your old model for Favourites, Voices, Splashscreens, etc. and loads them onto a new model all in one go.

More details and dowload link on the TomTom website here.

Also..
Although there is software like GPSBabel that will create a POI file for a TomTom, I know of none that will also read the mapsettings.cfg file to begin with.

POIEdit can read the MapSettings.cfg file and allow you to pull out the locations you want from it.

That's one of the most useful utilities I've seen from Tomtom. :)

Thanks Andy, tho it doesn't yet appear to be available here in the US.

Do you guys in the states not have the TomTom "Content Transfer Assistant" yet?
Had to bite my tongue, er fingers, something, anyway, had to avoid leading the OP astray with that one. No, we do not yet officially have it here. Do YOU? We were discussing this not long ago 'behind the scenes', remember?

From your other post on the topic on 5/25, I didn't sound as though it had even been released in the UK yet. As a concept, it's a great tool to provide a user an upgrade path, and will do more than favorites. Meanwhile, we have to suggest the 'old way' of doing things.

The GO2535M LIVE is still at app 10.157, and not the 10.200 minimum level required for Community Content (as launched in Europe).

I'm not sure if the content transfer assistant requires 10.200 as a minimum app, haven't tried.

Thanks. I went ahead and manually entered my favorites since I only had about 20 or so before I saw the post about that new app. I guess I'll wait until they officially support moving the voices and splash screens over or until the app is released in the US.
I agree though. TomTom should make buying a new device seamless. It seems every time I buy a new device, there is no easy way to transfer things over and I have to go get a new power plug wired into my car because the physical power plug has changed format (yet again).

Ask a Question