Tom Tom ONE XLS...Need opinion

I bought my first gps system, the Tom Tom ONE XLS. I keep hearing about the car charger burning out tom toms...

This is very disheartening since I need to use mine at work very soon for long periods of time everyday. My question is is the car charger safe to use if you first start the car, plug one end into the gps and then plug in the car charger??? Why are so many people frying their tom tom gps systems using the car charger? I know mine gets hot after a few minutes...is this normal?

One person said the car charger has 3 wires, one is a sensing wire, if this should happen to fall out of the connection, it sends all 12 volts to the Tom Tom, not the usual 5 volts...

Has this issue been resolved in the Tom Tom ONE XLS??? Please, I need a real answer not guesses. My 3 questions are:

1. What is the best way to connect the tom tom to your car charger? My guess would be engine on, then connect the charger to the TT.

2. Has the defect(if there is one, and I keep reading there is) been fixed in the car charger for the Ton Tom One XLS?

3. Is it normal for the car charger to get hot while powering the TT?

Thanks in advance guys, Also say if you like the Tom Tom ONE XLS, this is my first gps...did I make a good choice? I don't need all that bluetooth/mp3 crap just a good nav system...Thanks!

Anyone? I would really like to know Tom Tom fixed the apparent problem in the car charger's, I would think with the new release of the One XLS I would be problem free...anyone know about a problem with the car chargers frying their tom tom's? I read a few reports of said sadness;) , would really like to know though...

this is probably something you should contact TT support on.

Ditto.

If you contact TomTom support about this issue, please post their response. I've never heard of this being a problem before. I'm very familiar with the XL and am using the GO 720 now and I've never experienced any issues with car charger. Is this problem unique to the XL-S? If I were you I wouldn't have any fear using the car charger. Everything I've been reading about the ONE XL-S has been great.

Is there an ongoing problem with car chargers? I don't recall many posts on this question.

There used to be a problem a couple of years ago with the first Classic chargers, but I haven't heard much since.

OK, I called Tom Tom, the guys response was, it is rare, and he never heard of any since he's been there(dident sound like he was there for too long). He said if you have the cable plugged into the car as it starts it could possibly hurt your unit, but not fry it he said, he also said just .send it back here and we would fix it(not for free i'm sure)

I only ask since I read some people were frying their tom toms, NOT my ONE XLS model, and I forget what the models were, do a search on google you will find some.

So what good things have you heard about the ONE XLS? I can't find any decent reviews on it, I had it for about a week now, and only used it a few times, but I will be using it every day at work, hence my concern about the few car charger problems I read(not the ONE XLS model).

Ask a Question