Tom Tom 540 M shutting down and not turning on again for 5 minutes

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom 540M XXL
Hi TTF

I wanted to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger and send my TomTom 540 M back to Dell.

I`ve taken the unit on a road trip from Toronto to Montreal and then to Quebec City over the past two days. I`m driving in a Honda Accord and have noticed the unit has shut down 5 times now while my wife and I have been driving. It appears as if the unit gets hot on the back since it is mounted on the wind shield and then just shuts off. It will not turn on until I take it off the windshield and wait 5 to 10 minutes while it is out of the sun. Once it turns on I noticed that after I enter the password and it accepts it it re-directs me to the password screen. I have to reboot the system by holding down the power button for 15 seconds and then when I enter the password it lets me get to the main GPS screen.

To get to my question, is there any opionions on what is going on here

We have a garmin 750 in the other car and it has not shown problems like this. The Garmin is also mounted on the windshield. Note we also have the TOm Tom plugged into the cigarette lighter and the air conditioning is on in the car so I don`t think we are purposefully making the unit hot.

While the unit can suffer from prolonged time in the heat, what you describe should not be happening.

Thanks DHN .... I`m starting to think that maybe the continous charging after updating the unit might contribute to the problem. But since this is a theory I guess we will have to see what Tom Tom says.

My 540 unit is currently in Italy with the same application. My wife, who is using it there, did not report that kind of problem while using it for a couple of hours (and it was 95+ F where she was)

There "may" be a problem with the new 9.053 navcore. During the charging state , it continually says it is charging (even though unit is fully charged). Not sure if this could cause a problem or if there is a circiut within the battery core to prevent this from happening even though it continues to show it is "charging"

Ask a Question