tomtom xxl 540 M lieftime maps will not start

TomTom Model(s)
xxl 540m lifetime maps
I have just updated my tomtom xxl 540M lifetime maps edition (USA, Canada, Mexico). My initial attempt at the update resulted in a corrupted folder (documents/TomTom/Home/Download/complete/map/USA__Canada___Mexico). (error message: This file is invalid (archive file).

I renamed this folder and then tried again to update the TomTom.

The second update was successful and TomTom Home now thinks my device is completely up to date.

However, my TomTom xxl 540m will now not boot up beyond the TomTom logo splash screen. Tomtom home crashes if i try to use it to "operate my xxl". How do I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

First, try sesetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

I have tried resetting by holding down the power button for 15seconds. Unfortunately the problem remains.
Thanks,
Rob

I have tried resetting by holding down the power button for 15seconds. Unfortunately the problem remains.
Did you hold it down until you heard the "drum-beat" sound, or did you just hold it down for 15 seconds? On my XXL540, it takes about 20 seconds to get the "drum-beat" - which is what you need to accomplish.

When you get that sound, accompanied by a brief flash of the TomTom logo, it is an indication that you have done the equivalent of a PC "cold reboot", which does a better job of clearing the memory than a simple shut-off of the GPS. (That shut-off is actually more like hibernation than a true shut-off.)

That "drum-beat" reboot does not always solve issues like yours, but it does work in a fair percentage of the cases, and is always worth trying since it is so easy to do.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I have tried holding the power button until i get the drum beat (about 20 seconds). First the screen went green, then I got the drum beat, then the screen went black with white text giving system information.

The text screen remained until i pushed the power button again.

I have turned the TomTom back on and it still does not boot past the TomTom logo screen.

Try this ........

Use the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller found here: http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html and completely uninstall Home 2. Then get a fresh copy at tomtom.com/home and install.

Connect the unit to Home and see if the emulator works now. If so, plan a trip and when the routing is complete, disconnect the unit properly using the Disconnect icon. Any better?

If that doesn't work...............

Make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html

Then format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore the backup/

I have tried holding the power button until i get the drum beat (about 20 seconds). First the screen went green, then I got the drum beat, then the screen went black with white text giving system information.

The text screen remained until i pushed the power button again.
You held it a little too long and wound up in a diagnostic screen. When attempting this kind of a reset, RELEASE the button as soon as you hear the drums start.

Also check the "Articles" section for two round ups of what to try.Especially the one where you remove all the "loose" files and get Home to reinstall fresh ones (so far, unless I haven't read it properly, all you've done is put the same ones back)

Same model, same problem, same symptoms. Tried delete and reload, still locking up. It was fine until it did autoupdate, now it's dead. It will respond to PC but navigation never comes up, not even the grayed-out screen. Sometimes it goes green-screen, sometimes it just locks on the boot screen. XXL IQ Routes edition Any other good ideas? Thanks.

Another Victim

I am yet another victim of the XXL 540 Map, App, and GPSfix update that renders one's device useless.

Tech support apparently cannot help me as all tried methods do not work. Oh and I am 5 months past the 1 year warranty so guess what not eligible to get the device that TomTom's updates broke replaced.

But hey as a "loyal customer" they will give me 20% off the next TomTom I buy.... What so they can break that one in 1 year and 1 day from purchase....

What is it doing or not doing? Does it partially start? Can you connect to the computer? Please provide more information than 'useless'.

I have same problems here with TOMTOM ONE XXL IQ Rts. I try many things but I solve my problem in this way. Please make a copy of your unit before to try what I did. In this way you can go back any time to actual soft on your Tomtom.

1. Format your unit in this way you clean all the file.
2. Download this version of software from here: http://depositfiles.com/files/6dpnt9thu
3. Use winrar and copy all information from rar file on your Tomtom.
4. Restart and is done. You need voice, maps etc on your unit after this.

Sorry my english but I hope is help. Please ask and if I can help I will do.

I post navcore version 9.401.2-1021.CAB-navcore-LE from this link http://depositfiles.com/files/6dpnt9thu I try it and is was working for DeviceName=TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition . Personal I load Western Europe 890.4237 map in my unit and is working great. I didn't have space for full europe map.

Yes, I see where your link leads. I supplied the official TomTom link to that version of firmware with that same name since we cannot know if the depositfiles version is either safe or correct. We NEVER recommend obtaining new firmware from any source other than the TomTom server.

Let me ask you a question about using your XXL IQRoutes with that firmware ... do you still have the menu item that allows you to plan an itinerary?

Same thing happened to me. Have use the device (TomTom XXL 540M with US, Canada and Mexico map) less than 10 times in 2 years. Received email last week about the new map but was unable to install because the file was too big. Contacted TomTom online and was told to squeeze more memory by doing 'Quick Format', Update 'Application', download 'Quick GPS fix', download 'Map' and download 'Voice'. TomTom Home showed that everything was completed but the device was unable to boot, froze at the 'start up' screen.

Contacted TomTom again and was told how to reset the device which of course froze again.

Contacted TomTom the third was told how to scan the device's flash drive and if the issue persists then the device is bad. TomTom will give a 20% discount (instead of 10%) to buy a new one from their web. As mentioned with previous thread, the scan program just hung up.

After reading the above threads, I did the following:

1. Format TomTom device (not quick format)

2. Download firmware from code fromhttp://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.401.2-1021.CAB-navcore-LE.cab

3. Copy content of unzipped file ‘9.401.2-1021.CAB-navcore-LE’ to the device

4. TomTom device can be turned on and require to set up user preferences

5. Connect device to TomTom Home and update or download: Application (require to set up user preference again), Quick GPS fix, Map and Voice (one only)

Now my TomTom is working properly without Text To Speech because there is not enough memory for the computer voice.

Out of curiosity - what firmware did Home download for you before you had to go out and get your own version? It should appear in My Documents / TomTom / HOME / Download / complete / program

FWIW, there is a more recent version of code for your unit. http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.510.2-2039.CAB-navcore-LE.cab was, I believe, the very last release. That said, there's probably no special reason that I can recall to move on to it.

Ask a Question