TMC antenna for GO 930

khs

I recently boughts the TOMTOM GO 930 in Germany, where it worked perfectly including the RSD+TMC antenna for real time traffic news.

Back in Canada I figured that another antenna is needed for use in North America.

Although TOMTOM is now strongy advertising the GO 930 on the Canadian section of its website including the real time tyraffic feature, I have not found someone who was able to sell me the RSD-TMC antenna, which would be compatible with the GO 930.

I spoke with TOMTOM a few times and each time I get a different information. The last one was, that TOMTOM doesn't have an antenna yet which works with the GO 930; even more upsetting, they told me that they don't know when such an antenna would be offerred. Very strange given the fact that the real time traffic feature is specifically described on the website, eben wih a video clip.

My question: is there anyone out there in Canada who is successfully using the GO 930 and its real time traffic feature ? If so, where can I buy the TMC antenna compatible with the GO 930 ?

Thx in advance

khs

Can you pls tell me the model #...... The one shown on the website is the 9V00-080, which I was about to order....but TOMTOM techn service told me that this model would not be compatible with the VERY NEW "GO 930".....

On a different note, are you satisfied with the performance of your TMC function ? .... I live West of Toronto...

Thank you

khs

I'm not in a position to contradict what advice TomTom have given you as I don't have a 930. The RDS-TMC system is hit and miss. Prior to the 8.010 software for my One 3rd edition, it never gave any info on delays over 1 min. It does now with the 8.010 software.

However, the information isn't always current, e.g. some delays clear-up before they're removed, others are worse than listed. Others are bang-on. I use it in conjunction with traffic reports on the radio. It gives fairly reasonable info for the QEW and the portion of the Gardiner that used to be the QEW. For some reason it never gives any traffic for the elevated portion.

So, ultimately I find that it's an aid, but with any aid it sometimes helps to have a second opinion. This morning it routed me around a problem on the 401 by sending me NB on the 427 and EB on the 409. Saved a few minutes there and made my meeting on time.

thanks a lot !

A few hours ago I have ordered the 9VOO.080 antenna from an on-line shop (J&R.com based in New York City). While on the phone with a sales person, this person conversed with TT's technical support and was assured that this antenna will support the GO 930. This is in line with TT's web site, which lists this antenna as an accessory for the GO 930. However, the GO 930 is NOT listed as one unit which supports this antenna (or vice versa) in a lower section of that web site. As such, TT's own website carries unclear information.

In view of the sales person's verbal guarantee (whatever it is worth) and their 30 day return policy I decided to take the risk and ordered.

Upon receipt I will test the unit and report back. I'll be using the system in and around the GTA as well as in various parts of the USA.

Let's see what happens.

Thx for your help

khs

RDS-TMC Antenna for GO 930: FM Frequencies in Toronto

Can anyone tell me which FM frequencies work in the Greater Toronto Area ? I have recently received an antenna....it shows me the real-time traffic bar on the right side of the screen and a full green dot on top of the bar, which makes me think I have the right antenna. However, I have yet to see a traffic warning......
Any good advise will be appreciated...

thx

Traffic is carried on CHIN-FM at 100.7 MHz. You can easily test to see if you're getting the data, go to browse maps and then under options turn on the traffic display. If you zoom in around Toronto you should see traffic. Selecting any of the red circles should then let you scroll through each of the announcements.

Coverage is only during weekdays between 5:00AM and 7:00PM (or maybe 8PM?). However, there is almost always one construction item that shows up 24h. I think it's at the top of the 410. If you can see that your traffic is working.

Clear Channel , the TTN traffic provider , added very recently another FM station as a live back up after so many down time with the 100.7 transmiter recently. The new FM station is 88.9 Mhz. Both boradcast the same info although 100.7 has more ERP power therefore should be received farther raway fro mthe CN tower.

coverage is untill 8 pm from Mon to Fri. only major highways. recently they have been reporting major sport and cultural events (like baseball at the Skydome) that will more likely impact traffic around that area. nice added info btw. after almost 1 year of traffic services in toronto the service remains much the same. still some room to improve.

Ask a Question