RDS-TMC Antenna Not Found After Hardwire Install

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I had my TomTom hardwired at Best Buy today. Everything is fine except the TomTom is not detecting the RDS-TMC antenna.

I assume the section circled in red below is the Bluetooth receiver part of the antenna:

RDS-TMCAntenna.jpg

This part is now hidden behind my dash, but I would have thought that the antenna would still be detectable there.

Any thoughts on the matter?

The RDS receiver operates in the FM frequesncy band 88 to 108MHz it is nothing to do with Bluetooth at all, what have you had done to the aerial wire is it now connected to the cars own aerial? if so did they check whether the cars aerial wire is live with 12V on, if its connected to such an aerial without a blocking capacitor in line it will probably have been fried - Mike

The RDS receiver operates in the FM frequesncy band 88 to 108MHz it is nothing to do with Bluetooth at all, what have you had done to the aerial wire is it now connected to the cars own aerial? if so did they check whether the cars aerial wire is live with 12V on, if its connected to such an aerial without a blocking capacitor in line it will probably have been fried - Mike

Interesting, I had always thought the RDS-TMC receiver communicated with the TomTom via Bluetooth :confused:

I know it receives the traffic signal itself from an FM frequency (in my area 107.9 MHz), but according to the user guide, the antenna transmits received traffic data to the TomTom using Bluetooth.

I'll bring it back to the shop that did the install and have them take a look.

Nope doesn't use Bluetooth its a wired connection using USB or RS232 depending upon version, you have still got the power lead going to the traffic receiver and the traffic receiver then cabled via its built in lead to the TomTom? if they have used an extension cable between the RDS unit and the Nav device this could also be causing the issue - Mike - Mike

Nope doesn't use Bluetooth its a wired connection using USB or RS232 depending upon version, you have still got the power lead going to the traffic receiver and the traffic receiver then cabled via its built in lead to the TomTom? if they have used an extension cable between the RDS unit and the Nav device this could also be causing the issue - Mike - Mike

My bad, I'd didn't even think of the USB wire as being for the antenna, I thought it was just for the power (even though when I set it up myself the first time, I plugged the 12 volt charger directly into it) :eek:

No wonder I kept searching for Bluetooth devices and found nothing :rolleyes:

As of right now I think the antenna can still work because the TomTom is still getting power and the shop that did the install connected the power to the 12 volt charger; not directly hardwiring the Tom Tom to the car's electrical system. What they did is wire a new 12 volt plug-in under that dash and then plugged the TomTom 12 volt charger into it; there shouldn't have been any power surges or overloads and the TomTom was not connected to the radio antenna.

One possibility I can think of it the RDS-TMC antenna wasn't long enough for them to mount it to the top of the windshield, so as of right now it only sits about 10 CM above the dash; however, I would think if that were the problem the TomTom would still be able to detect the antenna, just not pick up a signal.

A second possibility is that the antenna wire may be "pinched" too tightly where it comes out of the dash; but, the TomTom is still getting power through the wire, so I assume this isn't the problem either.

At any rate, to get proper positioning, I have bought the USB equipment necessary to extend the length of the antenna up to four more feet. Once the parts arrive I'll take the car back in and have the shop test the antenna; if they didn't break it during the initial install, I'll have them install the extension and hope that solves the problem.

If the shop did break the antenna, they do stock new ones and should replace it for free.

Thanks again :)

PS - My manual states to position the antenna on the driver's side of the windshield; when the shop placed it during the install, they didn't have enough slack to reach the driver's side, so they placed it on the passenger side; Does that matter? I assume the antenna can be placed on either side of the windshield as long as it's been placed high enough.

For the best reception from the RDS devices they are best connected to the cars aerial via a splitter cable, its not too difficult and can make a huge difference, no cables are visible and you get the performance from a decent aerial that is mounted external to the vehicle.
If you are using a shop to install this then its not really viable as it could get rather costly, but if you want the technical details of how to do it let me know - Mike

For the best reception from the RDS devices they are best connected to the cars aerial via a splitter cable, its not too difficult and can make a huge difference, no cables are visible and you get the performance from a decent aerial that is mounted external to the vehicle.
If you are using a shop to install this then its not really viable as it could get rather costly, but if you want the technical details of how to do it let me know - Mike

That would be great if you could provide information on the parts/instructions needed to split the USB RDS-TMC antenna into my FM antenna cable.

Just as an FYI, my BMW doesn't have an old fashioned antenna sticking up on the outside of the car; the antenna is built into the rear window glass and its cable feeds through the car to an OEM Blaupunkt head unit.

Depending on how complex the job is, the shop I'm using may agree to do this mod because they specialize in installing car audio & GPS units. Personally, I'm not very mechanically inclined, but would be willing to try and connect a new RDS-TCM receiver (considering the old one is still buried in the car and may not be working) into a spliter if the shop is willing to then connect the FM antenna to the spliter then into the head unit.

Good news Mike,

My TomTom now recognizes the RDS-TMC antenna, but cannot get a signal.

When getting my car back after the install, in addition to not having a connection with the RDS-TMC antenna, my device wouldn't connect with my computer either. I did a soft reset to fix the computer connection problem and that fixed the connection problem with the RDS-TMC antenna as well.

I'm assuming the reason I cannot get a signal is because the antenna is mounted too low. Thanks for the offer to remedy the solution by explaining how to splice the RDS-TMC with the FM antenna. I'm still interested in knowing how this would work considering it would complete conceal the antenna and give me a stronger signal. You may even consider starting a new thread on how to connect the RDS-TMC to the FM antenna; I'm sure many other form members would also like to know how to do this.

As of right now I'm happy that the RDS-TMC antenna still works and am looking forward either having it connected to the FM antenna or mounted higher on the windshield.

Tom

That would be great if you could provide information on the parts/instructions needed to split the USB RDS-TMC antenna into my FM antenna cable.

I have not posted pictures on this board before so what follows is a bit of a trial/ error, if it works all I need to add is the part numbers for the bits, so lets see what happens:

RDS-TMC reception has been something of a challenge since its introduction in the UK and I guess the same issues can apply in the USA, its fair to say reception is now considerably better than it used to be, but in some areas it is still far from reliable. If your vehicle is fitted with heat reflective glass otherwise known as Athermic windscreen this can effectively block the FM signal making reception even more difficult even in areas with good signal coverage.

The best way around these issues is to connect the RDS-TMC receivers aerial ?Shoe String? to the car aerial, this provides a much better signal level and overcomes the Athermic windscreen problem as the cars aerial is outside of the cockpit. Another ?spin off? from doing this is the ability to hide all the wiring and getting rid of the dashboard spaghetti with cables strewn everywhere.

Some vehicles feed +12 Volts up the aerial wire to power an amplifier, if you connect the RDS-TMC receiver directly to such an installation you will fry the unit and probably damage the PND the receiver is connected to. By fitting a small ceramic capacitor in series between the cars aerial cable and the RDS-TMC unit you block the 12V from the RDS device but still let the important FM signal through.

This short write up details how to make an adaptor cable to achieve the above, the connector/ socket to your car stereo might differ from the ones needed for my vehicle as shown and listed within this guide, so check what?s fitted to your stereo before you purchase the connectors needed for the adaptor.

A quick word about safety, if you intend to bury the installation in the back of the dashboard take extra care when messing around due to the airbags fitted in modern cars. Set one of these off and not only will you end up in hospital it will cost you quite a bit to fix the damage to the car. If you are in any doubt consult a qualified auto electrician.

Below are the parts needed for this modification, a full parts index with links is supplied at the end of the article with UK and USA links, as for tools:

Sharp Knife
Wire cutters/ Kitchen scissors (don?t let the wife catch you though)
Soldering Iron
Small screw driver
Small scissors

The short length of cable at the bottom of the picture is something I made earlier, if you need explanations as to how these plugs are fitted to the cable then the rest of this write up won?t be of much use.
The long coil of coax cable is used to route through the back of the dashboard to where the RDS-TMC receiver is located within the car, the length of cable feeding the RDS-TMC receiver will differ from car to car, this cable is cheap so purchase too much rather than too little.

Cut a small 1?/ 25MM ?window? in the outer insulation, take care not to cut the braided screen, and remove the outer insulation

Cut through the copper braid in the middle of the window and twist the strands to form two equal length ?tails? strip and remove ?? / 5MM of the inner plastic insulator (dielectric) to expose the centre core.

Bend the cable to form a loop, bind the two ends together using PVC tape as shown.

Strip around 1?/ 25MM of the cable going to the RDS-MC lead, form the braid in to a single core cable by twisting together the strands, strip 0,25?/ 5MM of dielectric to expose the inner core.

Position the two cables as shown below and bind together with PVC tape. Make sure the ends are level and the three lengths of screen braid are next to each other.

Twist all three screen braids together and solder the joint, do not touch the inner conductors at this stage.

Use the soldering iron to tin the inner core of both cables and use PVC tape over the braided screen joint, ensure no small copper strands are sticking out, if you find any trim them off as required. Cut the capacitor leads down so they are around ?? / 12MM long

Solder the capacitor across the two cable assemblies, don?t keep the soldering iron in place for too long or the dielectric will melt potentially shorting out the cable assembly.

Add PVC tape around both leads from the capacitor to insulate them from each other, fiddly to do and it doesn?t look too elegant but this is a very necessary step.

Put a 1?/ 25MM length of the outer insulation over the capacitor to add some physical protection to the assembled joint, strip this 1?/ 25MM length of outer jacket from the other end of the long cable going to the RDS-MC receiver.

Wrap the whole joint up with PVC tape and that?s the last step on this end of the cable, it can now be fitted to the car. The aerial lead is simply pulled out of the stereo in the car and inserted to the free socket, the free plug is then inserted in to the stereo, but first we need to terminate the other end of the feeder cable to the RDS-TMC device.

At the other end of the longer cable going to the RDS-TMC unit I fit a 50 ohm BNC bulkhead socket by soldering it to the cable. A corresponding plug is soldered to the end of the RDS-TMC aerial wire which makes it possible to remove the RDS-TMC unit and use it within another car from time to time without cutting cables.

Again PVC tape is used to wrap up the inner cable joint to the connector.

Solder the screen to the outer tag on the connectors body.

Tape the whole assembled connector up with yet more PVC tape

- Part numbers to follow once I have the links sorted out - Mike

Believe me it took longer to take the pictures and get them on the net than it did to make the cable, it only took ten minutes to make the assemby - its by far the best way to make sure the receiver is fed with a decent signal (although I think you will find a similar post on some of the European based forums before the night is out) - Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your instruction on how to wire the reciver to the car antenna. Can you please tell me what type of Capacitor I need to use to block the 12v current.

Thanks

Any small disk ceramic style capacitor will be fine for blocking the DC voltage (if its even present as not all cars feed 12V up the coax), ask for a small disk Ceramic capacitor in your local radio shack store and you should be fine, something like This would be fine for the application - Mike

Could you take a pic or 2 of the install? I want to do this in my Mercedes but am a little afraid of the outcome... how it will look... what type of mount did they use?

Whilst its not a Merc, this is what the final outcome looks like in my Ovlov V70, this was for a TomTom 940 using the Brodit Accessory Mount and Brodit Pro Clip to suit the car, there are plenty of other options for different hardware though depending upon which model you have got car/ Nav unit:

All cabled up and working - Oh look no wires and remember this includes an RDS-TMC receiver, much neater even though it did take a few hours.

With the 940 off its bracket all that is left is a simple shoe that is pre-wired and ready to go once the device is dropped in to position.

Much neater than having wires all over the dash IMHO - Mike

That looks really good, I have another question. You talk about connected the RDS-TMC to the antenna cable using a conector of some sort. I am not sure how to wire up the other end as the RDS-TMC only has one 1 and the antenna has the brade and centre wire? How did you do that?

Thanks

You talk about connected the RDS-TMC to the antenna cable using a conector of some sort. I am not sure how to wire up the other end as the RDS-TMC only has one 1 and the antenna has the brade and centre wire? How did you do that?
The RDS aerial wire is simply connected to the inner core of the car aerial, I have a few more pictures which detail what you do to the RDS device in way of fitting a connector:

Here we have the x40 active mount with built in RDS-TMC receiver, the end of the cable now sports a BNC plug:

Its not just TomTom units than can be improved using this technique, here the Garmin GTM12 receiver has a new connector fitted:

Back to the more widely used TomTom RDS-TMC units, there are two different types, the first being the slightly older unit with a round plug, often referred to as the part number ending .013

And finally the newer RDS-TMC unit with the mini USB style connector:

Please bear in mind where I mention part numbers for the RDS-TMC receivers these are European devices, North American receivers will have different part numbers, although connecting it to your car aerial will improve reception - Mike

Ask a Question