RDS-TMC Traffic Antenna Placement

TomTom Model(s)
Go 910
In the instructions, they say to mount the TomTom on the lower left hand side of the windshield. OK... So I cannot do that... Mine has to stay up by the rear-view... Next, is says to mount the antenna in a vertical orientation. Ok.. So I cannot do that either or the antenna will be mounted down the center of the windshield. So I have mine across the top and to the right; in front and above of the passenger side.

How much of a difference does the location and orientation really make? I can get signals in some areas... then it drops out in others... So I was wondering if anyone did a test on horizontal vs. vertical reception?

Thanks!

That is exactly how I had to do mine as well.

My G0 720 is mounted at the centre of my console and I could only put the antenna going across my dash and then once it reached the bottom of the windshield I have it going left to right.

I really wish they made an extension cable or longer cable. Especially after dishing out $140+ on the antenna

D.

I had the same problem, and tried it from the center - both vertically and horizontally. I then moved it to the right (used the NavMat), and mounted it per their recommendations. I am in a weak reception area with hills. The recommended location did seem to get me connected sooner then the center position - especially the horizontal.

They definitely need an extension. Question is, is the connector a standard plug, and could we then use an off-the-shelf compatible cable to extend it - or would it degrade the already weak signal?

That is a good question.. can we somehow solder a connection to an extension cable.. then solder the wires back into the antenna... Heck if we are going that far why cannot we just create a mag-mount for the outside of the car? Sounds like patent time here...

I had the same problem, and tried it from the center - both vertically and horizontally. I then moved it to the right (used the NavMat), and mounted it per their recommendations. I am in a weak reception area with hills. The recommended location did seem to get me connected sooner then the center position - especially the horizontal.

They definitely need an extension. Question is, is the connector a standard plug, and could we then use an off-the-shelf compatible cable to extend it - or would it degrade the already weak signal?

Initial test results

After one run from my Home to work ... with the antenna vertical rather than horizontal, there seemed to be no noticeable difference in the reception. It still drops out in the same area.

Same results

I too have noticed little difference in different antenna placements. I know just have it laying across the dash under where the windshield wipers sit and it works just as good (or bad) as usual.

One comment on extending the cable. I don't think it would be much of a problem as it looks like the module on the cable is housing the signal amp/reciever. Changing the length of the cable on the cradle side shouldn't have any effect on the operation, but...

On my GO 910 I actually wrapped the traffic receiver around the FM dock, and the antenna wire around the cigarette lighter power cord attached every couple of inches with small zip ties. So far the traffic data updates fine in Chicago Il, Raleigh NC, and Phoenix AZ. The reason I did that is for the ease of transferring the GO from rental cars to rental cars for work. Just my 2 cents.......

Ask a Question