Theory of Operation

I am trying to understand how the TTGO works. Will it operate using information stored on an SD and the hard drive at the same time? (when I say hard drive, I mean the TTGO internal.)

For instance if I buy a 2 GB SD (because I gave up trying to get the 8 GB to work), can I just down load the Euro maps I bought on the SD and leave everything else as it was on the internal HD?

After I figure all this out, I will be ready to try to load some music files also.

I am trying to understand how the TTGO works. Will it operate using information stored on an SD and the hard drive at the same time? (when I say hard drive, I mean the TTGO internal.)

For instance if I buy a 2 GB SD (because I gave up trying to get the 8 GB to work), can I just down load the Euro maps I bought on the SD and leave everything else as it was on the internal HD?

After I figure all this out, I will be ready to try to load some music files also.

The 720 and 920 models work that way .... can't vouch for other models.

They work what way?? That is what I am trying to figure out. I just loaded the Euro maps on the SD and I threw some music on there also and I did a backup.

Did that just back up the SD or the complete TTGO?

Seems like a piece of crap if it can't read all it's memory as one.

They work what way?? That is what I am trying to figure out. I just loaded the Euro maps on the SD and I threw some music on there also and I did a backup.

Did that just back up the SD or the complete TTGO?

Seems like a piece of crap if it can't read all it's memory as one.

Not clear what you're asking, Gunny.

On a 720, you can have the map on a sd card in a properly named folder, you can have photos in a photo folder on the 720 AND in a photo folder on the card, you can have mp3's in folders in both internal memory and the sd card and have the operating system on the unit, itself.

Thanks. I had read that you have to have the TT application on the same memory storage as the maps.

I loaded the 2 gig sd with the Europe map and I am not sure how to get the TT application on it also.

Thanks. I had read that you have to have the TT application on the same memory storage as the maps.

I loaded the 2 gig sd with the Europe map and I am not sure how to get the TT application on it also.
NO -- you can have a separate map out on your SD card without loading all of the other 720 stuff with it!

mastergunny said:
I am not sure how. I am not sure how to delete what is on the TT GO hard drive. I would assume I connect to the computer, go to windows explorer and delete all files on the TT HD. Then disconnect and install the chip with the copied files into the SD slot. Boot up the TT and see what happens. Then perhaps I connect back to home and download the Euro maps onto the TT GO.

The only problem at hand is that the 720 can't write properly to the 8MB SD card. We will avoid that.

-------------------------
Insert the SD card into your computer's SD card reader. It should be blank.

Dock the 720 into the USB connector cradle (or you can even use a USB cable if you have one that fits!)

Turn it on. When it asks if you want a computer connection, press YES.

TomTomHome will probably launch. That's OK, but we don't need it yet.

Go to My Computer on your PC - you will see the TomTom 720, looking like a removable hard drive (it's really just flash memory, not a hard drive). You will also see the SD card in your card reader looking like a hard drive. Click on both of them it to open them and get them both where you can see them on your desktop.

You will see a folder in the 720 called North_... or perhaps the whole name, North_America_2GB.

Using your mouse, select the North_America_2GB folder and save a copy of it to your desktop (JUST in case!). You do this by pressing the right mouse button over the folder, and while holding the button down, sliding the mouse over to your desktop. Release the mouse button, and select the "Copy Here" option.

Now, you are going to do the exact same thing by selecting the North_America_2GB folder in your 720 again, but this time, you will slide it over to your SD card window, and this time, choose the "Move Here" option.

Your North American map set has now been written to your SD card, and removed from your 720. Your 720 should now have room for your European maps.

Go back to the TomTom Home program. By now it will have done all of its checking for new stuff out on the TomTom site, and you'll have the "Back" button available. Click on it.

Click on the "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc." icon.

Click on the "More" button twice until you see the icon that reads "Items on my computer". You are about to tell it to install the maps that you previously downloaded onto your computer into your 720.

Click the "+" symbol next to "Maps". You will see your European map set listed (providing it got downloaded to the right place).

Click on the "Add" button to install them.

When that is all done, from the top bar, select "Device" and select "Disconnect device". When TomTom Home tells you that it is OK, remove your 720 from the cradle and TURN IT OFF.

Remove the "dummy" SD card from the bottom of your 720 by pushing on it -- same as you would do for the SD card in a camera.

Remove the SD card from your card reader and install it into the bottom of your 720.

Turn your 720 back on and wait until it boots up. It will probably fuss at you about seeing a GPS reading that makes no sense based upon a European map (unless you are in Europe!). You can switch maps right then and there, since it will probably ask if you want to.

Later, you can switch your default map sets back and forth by starting up your 720, leaving the "Driving" screen, pressing "Change Preferences", pressing the right arrow once until you can see "Manage Maps". There's an option there to "Switch map" that will let you select between your map sets. Until you head for Europe or come home, you won't need to do this again since the setting becomes your default at power on.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Ask a Question