tele atlas maps well out dated in my area

With the 330S wow was I shocked to see how much tele atlas is out dated in my area of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Tele Atlas is still showing rails tracks that have been gone for many many years. My cottage roads that are over 20 years old are not listed from the Bridgewater area. Was using 7.20 map.

Now the navteq shows none of the rail roads that were removed and all my roads to my cottage are showing and this was with a Nuvi 225w.

Seems to me navteq is far superior than tel atlas when it comes to rural out in the stick areas of Nova Scotia and Maine.

I sure was hoping to with tomtom but only if I could get a navteq map for it.

There's always hit and miss with those map data companies. One maybe well covered in this area but not that.
And I keep telling my friends and posted on many forums that when choosing gps, please verify the area where one live FIRST.
There are many ways to check out and compare. If Navteq well covered in one living area but not TeleAtlas then go with Garmin/Magellan. Same as other way around.

Tele Atlas is a rather newcomer to North America when compared to Navteq and it is the other way around for Europe.

I'm guessing here but am under the impression Tele Atlas purchased maps from somewhere and the quality is not always what it should be. When Tele Atlas covers an area with their trucks, you can expect the area to be well covered. Alas the North American continent is large and they do have a lot of area to yet cover. Canada, as a whole, is not as well covered by Tele Atlas as Navteq maps. OTOH, I was able to see a small rural road in St-Alexis-de-Matapedia in Gaspesia, QC that was inexistant on a Navteq map and has been in existence since 1868. Go figure? As the previous post mentions, you need to scrutinize your area before making a selection.

With the 330S wow was I shocked to see how much tele atlas is out dated in my area of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Tele Atlas is still showing rails tracks that have been gone for many many years. My cottage roads that are over 20 years old are not listed from the Bridgewater area. Was using 7.20 map.

Now the navteq shows none of the rail roads that were removed and all my roads to my cottage are showing and this was with a Nuvi 225w.

Seems to me navteq is far superior than tel atlas when it comes to rural out in the stick areas of Nova Scotia and Maine.

I sure was hoping to with tomtom but only if I could get a navteq map for it.

As mentioned by others both companies have good and bad coverage areas. I live in the Annapolis valley in Nova Scotia and in my area the (Tom-Tom / Tele-Atlas) coverage is better than ( Garmin /Navteq.) In fact my 4 year old (Magellan Unit with Navteq ) Shows Kentville, NS about 10 KL south east of it’s actual location.

On the other hand if you go to the Tele-Atlas site and go to map corrections you will see that " all " the Major Hwy’s in Nova Scotia are marked as US Hwy’s ( example hwy 102 is marked as hwy 102 US 102 ) and to the best of my knowledge there are no US Hwy’s In Canada :confused:
I reported the error about 6 mts ago but as someone on this form stated they need to get corrections from several different people before they do anything.

All being said GPS units are still better than trying to read everything from a paper map and one of these days the GPS maping companies will have the details better than 95% accurate.

Last edited:

Ask a Question