Taking my TomTom to Europe

TomTom Model(s)
GO 930T
I'm off to Europe in the fall. Is there anything special I need to know about using the TomTom overseas... basic things... I assume I just turn it on and off I go? I know I need to change to the European maps, but is that it?

RD
in North America

Pretty much......you should have the European maps downloaded prior to leaving just to test it out. You don't say what model you have but if your unit has an SD card slot, you could dl the European map onto it. There are plenty of places on the net to get custom poi's for various European countries.

Also, if you have a rds traffic antenna for North America, it won't work in Europe. It may take some time when you first turn your unit on overseas for the unit to get a satellite signal. Remember your car charger and make sure to check that the receptacle in the rental car works before heading off. If you have an a/c power adapter for your unit, you'll need adapter plugs and many countries there are 220 (230) so be prepared for that too.

And units overseas get stolen from cars, just like here.....don't leave yours in the auto.

And remember your passport! :)

To further the discussion, I have Europe 815.2003 on my new 930. Is there any real advantage in the 825.2157 map that's available for d/l? I will be off to Sicily May 22 & I will need it to work flawlessly since we will be driving a big chunk of the island. :D

Ian

To further the discussion, I have Europe 815.2003 on my new 930. Is there any real advantage in the 825.2157 map that's available for d/l? I will be off to Sicily May 22 & I will need it to work flawlessly since we will be driving a big chunk of the island. :D

Ian

If you are within the 30 day window of purchasing the unit, the 825 map is available for free using the Latest Map guarantee. Why wouldn't you want to get the latest? There may not be changes for Sicily between the two ... but there may be.

No. I used up my upgrade capabilities when I had an early issue with my NA maps - Quebec didn't exist. They upgraded my NA map but I asked & they didn't allow a Europe upgrade.:(

I see that there is also a specific Italy map. Is there any advantage in the country maps vs all of Europe?

Ian

Being UK based we get updates to all maps intalled to the device under LMG so I think you are being treated rather unfairly, sometimes the LMG works but when it doesn't the missing maps are added to out accounts - I would try again with support to see if they will honour the LMG otherwise you might as well have purchased a 730!
As for the smaller Itally map, this would save you money but if you plan to drive anywhere else within Europe over then next 12 months the full Western and Central Europe map would be more cost effective - Mike

There are a couple of issues here:
1. If indeed the NA map provided was faulty in that Quebec was missing (all other provinces were there?), then it should have been replaced at no penalty to you. And you ARE entitled to the LMG for BOTH NA and Europe. You may want to call support back at 866-486-6866 and ask for a supervisor. Tell them that other North Americans with 930's WERE receiving updates to 825 for BOTH maps. Be polite but firm.

2. In North America, when a user buys a segment map, say just of Canada or an area of the USA rather than the complete NA map, the information in a segment is not more detailed as far as roads are concerned than using the NA map. So, though you can get just an Italy map for a bit cheaper than the entire European map that includes Italy, I don't think you'll get better detail in just having the map of Italy alone.

geting back to your original request "I assume I just turn it on and off I go? I know I need to change to the European maps.." it is in fact that simple. We used the 920 in Europe last fall with great success - let's face it, Sicily does not change as fast as a newly developed city ! Unless you are travelling to your cousin's new home in a new district of Sicily, I personally think you are fine with the unit as it is - that being said, you should definitely fight to get your Map Updated under the LMG.
Also, when in another country, I have found it easier to set 'Home" to your new base.
Have a great trip

If you let the device grab a GPS fix with the USA map selected while in Europe the unit will pop a message on screen saying there is a more suitable map available for you current location, tapping the Yes button will switch to the correct map, the same applies with a Europe map selected if you are in the USA - Try this on the device by selecting Europe and then go outside for the device to acquire a GPS position fix, obviously for this to work you need both the USA map and the European map available on the device - Mike

Ask a Question