TomTom taking long way

Im to the point that i might return my 720 and get a Garmin. For the price it has features that i love but its not doing its main function very well. I was using it coming back from Atlanta just to see how it routed me and it told me to get off at an exit that is easily 8 miles and five exits too early. I live in Auburn and the fastest way is to get off at the last Opelika exit but it told me to get off at the very first opelika exit. Knowing the area there is no way that would have saved me time or mileage. Any ideas what its deal is?

Also it plays my music but after every song it says an error occured before the song starts or the other ended.

Its just how the routing engine is designed. Not for nothing but I don't think getting a Garmin will solve your problems. I have a Garmin nuvi 350 and it also sometimes tells me to get off earlier exits than I normally would because I guess it is measuring what it thinks is the 'fastest' according to its engine calculations. For instance, on my way home using a certain highway, my tomtom 720 will tell me to get off the exit I would normally get off (because I think its the fastest), but my garmin nuvi 350 will tell me to get off about 3 exits earlier because it wants to take me a completely different route (not fastest because it involves more local roads). Its just 2 completely different routing engines. Sometimes my nuvi will route better and sometimes my 720 will route better. But since I got my 720 I personally prefer the routes it selects over my nuvi. The one great thing that I can do with my 720 that I can't with my nuvi is that I can edit the route and exclude roads I don't want to travel after it calculates the route initially.

I've noticed a few questionable routes on mine as well. But, I guess it will still get me to wherever I need to go. I guess if I know a better route, than I really don't need the TT to tell me how to get there, and if i have no idea which way to go, I won't know that it didn't take me the best way. My Magellan did the same thing on occassion.

Ask a Question