Stuttering Definition

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd, GO 720
Just so we're all on the same page...and to make sure so I'm not pursuing the wrong fix, does this describe the "Stuttering" problem experienced by others?

When a wave is playing (& for me it's ALWAYS the hands-free speaker-phone "voice"), the sound becomes stuck on a single syllable, and skips like a scratched CD.

For example, the person on the other end of the phone, is saying, "I'm heading home" and the TomTom relays, "I'm heading HoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHo...."
And it somewhat locks up. It then has to be hard powered-down, which takes about 30 seconds, all the while blaring, "...HoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHoHo..." then a "Buzzzzt," then a couple more, "..HoHoHoHo's" for good measure, then it finally shuts down! Meanwhile, I'm frantically trying to switch off hands-free from the limited-functioning phone menu before the party on the other end thinks they've been dropped!

Does this sound familiar?

Some Notes:
I used to think this was related to when the unit tried to play a warning or directional wave, "Turn Left, Ahead," at the same time as Hands-Free was using the speaker, but now I'm not sure. Recently, this sort of stuttering has occurred when I'm pretty sure there was no route loaded.

I have never had any of the TT voices stutter, like this. For me, the only time it occurs is during telephone calls & it's always the phone "voice".

It does not stutter on every call. Call length does NOT appear to be a factor--I've had it stutter like this on the firggin' ringer-tone, before the other party even answered their phone! :confused:

I have a GO 720 with Nav 8.302, Map NA 825. The Stuttering appeared to return when I updated to this map. It had been absent for several months, using 8.302 & an older map (815?). I have replaced the original MapSettings.cfg which installed with the 825 (previously, I'd been using the one from 815), which did not solve it.

During the time it was not stuttering, the unit would "beep," instead of playing directions over hands-free. Recently, I've had it "beep" on directions, during hands free, but the stuttering still occurs with far too much regularity.

My GO has a 16GB sdhc, which only holds mp3's, photos, & a 'voice' folder containing, data4, data11, etc. files. The voice engine & voices are still on the internal unit, but they don't stutter like this. There is a similar 'voices' folder on the internal memory, which contains more 'data' files.

Playing music on the JukeBox while following a route Never stutters. The music fades out while the directions are broadcast.

I always have the unit pugged in & fully changed.

My phone is an original LG eNV. My wireless carrier is Verizon. Ir is this maybe a BlueTooth problem?

Thanks!

Last edited:
No - perhaps we've all been using the wrong word, but it's served for those who have heard the "problem".

Stuttering would imply repetition of syllables. In this case, it's more a case of random hesitation.

In my experience, the TT at 8.300 would go awry in the face of particularly long street descriptions. For example, if a highway here had, over time, overlaid a US highway, state highway and whatever else, it might actually be US287, US87, County Highway 24, and "somestreetname". The TT720 would give you the whole list. For example, "Turn north, U S Highway two hundred eighty seven, U S highway eighty seven, county highway twenty four, north something street". There was NO way that it could sustain the entire string without numerous hesitations in the process.

"Turn north, U S high
way two hundred eight
y seven, U S
highway eighty se
ven

etc etc etc

That's what we've all been talking about.

That's what we've all been talking about.
Oh, my! That's never occurred in my years of TT usage. Maybe my locale's too rural.

See? This is what I was afraid of...pursuing a wild goose.

Time to call tech support & log a new issue. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The stuttering reminds me of someone jiggling the speaker wire as sound is coming through. Same kind of sound (to me, anyway).

TomTom Support doesn't quite know what to make of this type of "Stuttering." It hasn't been reported before.

Their current theory postulates "bluetooth incompatibilities" due to the (admitted) lack-of testing of Verizon phones, of which I own. But without more examples, there's no telling--my sample-size of "one" isn't very significant.

I did learn that they're in talks with Verizon, which could lead to more compatibility testing, although probably not for older eNV's, like mine.

TomTom Support doesn't quite know what to make of this type of "Stuttering." It hasn't been reported before.

Their current theory postulates "bluetooth incompatibilities" due to the (admitted) lack-of testing of Verizon phones, of which I own. But without more examples, there's no telling--my sample-size of "one" isn't very significant.

I did learn that they're in talks with Verizon, which could lead to more compatibility testing, although probably not for older eNV's, like mine.

I think I am experiencing the same thing.

What details did you get on Verizon?

I'm keenly interested in Verizon-related compatibility testing, because Verizon is part owned by Vodafone, who runs HD traffic.

They haven't cared much for CDMA phones before, seems like there's no reason they'd start doing so unless they're preparing for an American HD traffic launch

Ask a Question