It's not just stuttering...

Sorry if others have posted this already.

I updated my TT 730 to the latest 8.15 map and 8.301 navcore yesterday, and want to figure out how bad the stuttering problem could be. After I try it today, It does stutter from time to time, and it is indeed annoying. Besides stuttering, there are a few things I can hardly bear with:

* position delay: when I've already passed a turning point, the screen always shows that I am still behind that position. This misleading information is very inconvenient, and I was led to miss a turning point because of this. This doesn't happen with the old navcore 8.002.

* slower rate of screen updates: the update rate is so slow that I feel I am operating on a 100Mhz, instead of 400Mhz. Again, this doesn't happen with the old navcore 8.002.

* info for next street: with the old navcore 8.002, it was in the bottom of the screen with bigger fonts, which I appreciate very much. But now it has been moved to the upper-right position of the screen with smaller fonts that I can't easily recognize.

* fm broadcast of instructions: it's gone... quite inconvenient.

I couldn't understand why TT could make such awkward update decisions, especially when the old stuff works just fine. I think they should at least have road tested their own updates before formally releasing it or they should post it as beta or even alpha releases. Quite disappointed, I am now returning to my 8.002 core, which never disappoints me so far.

Last edited:
Sorry if others have posted this already.

No reason to be sorry. The whole situations a huge PITA !!!

Even stranger, is this does not affect everyone. Same exact devices, same Navcore & Maps and one works perfectly and other one's messin' up.

I played around with a driver for UPS [not him....his 730] the other night for 2 solid hours. Format'd drive, re-installed.....the whole nine yards. Luckily, I had the older 8.02 on a hard drive and that fix'd-em right up.

I gotta believe the Techs at TT HQ are pulling their hair out. How do you explain why one works and one dosn't and they are exactly the same device and same software/firmware/maps ? Its totally baffling

I gotta believe the Techs at TT HQ are pulling their hair out. How do you explain why one works and one dosn't and they are exactly the same device and same software/firmware/maps ? Its totally baffling
I know that there have been no few of us volunteer our annoying units on a "hot swap" basis to give them specific test cases to work with. One can only hope they've taken at least a few of us up on the offer.

Have you tried running it unplugged from the power source? I had the same issue with screen update after updating to 8.301, and performed a little test. While traveling at speed on the interstate, I disconnected it from the car charger. It ran perfectly. I plugged the charger back in, and it slowed way down again. I looked at the charge status page and noticed something interesting that I had not seen before. The battery symbol is now programmed to show a "filling up" routine instead of a steady full or partial charge indication. Only when I let the battery become fully charged again did my unit's operating speed return to normal. It seems that the 8.3X update included some new software with an unintended consequence of diverting GPU power to the battery charging indicator. How stupid is that?!

Slower recalulations

sorry if others have posted this already.

I updated my tt 730 to the latest 8.15 map and 8.301 navcore yesterday, and want to figure out how bad the stuttering problem could be. After i try it today, it does stutter from time to time, and it is indeed annoying. Besides stuttering, there are a few things i can hardly bear with:

* position delay: When i've already passed a turning point, the screen always shows that i am still behind that position. This misleading information is very inconvenient, and i was led to miss a turning point because of this. This doesn't happen with the old navcore 8.002.

* slower rate of screen updates: The update rate is so slow that i feel i am operating on a 100mhz, instead of 400mhz. Again, this doesn't happen with the old navcore 8.002.

* info for next street: With the old navcore 8.002, it was in the bottom of the screen with bigger fonts, which i appreciate very much. But now it has been moved to the upper-right position of the screen with smaller fonts that i can't easily recognize.

* fm broadcast of instructions: It's gone... Quite inconvenient.

I couldn't understand why tt could make such awkward update decisions, especially when the old stuff works just fine. I think they should at least have road tested their own updates before formally releasing it or they should post it as beta or even alpha releases. Quite disappointed, i am now returning to my 8.002 core, which never disappoints me so far.

as more iq routes according to the time of the day and the day of the week it seems that recalulation time is slowed because of so many calculations

Ask a Question