Susan is Stuttering

Hi Gang,

I apologize if this was brought up before. But is anyone having this issue?
Susan stuttering when reading directions aloud?

I have the 8.3 version and everything on my 720 is up to date.

What is going on? I am getting kind of fed up with TomTom.
Anyone else feel this way??

Thanks all!
Louis:confused:

Well known issue with firmware 8.3. Do a search on 'stuttering' and read ..... lots.:eek:

We are all hoping for a firmware fix .....soon.:mad:

I am seeing the same problem. Another reader (maybe on another site, I do not recall) suggested that his unit had this problem when he turned it off without clearing the route upon arrival and that clearing the route before shutting it down helped. Seems to work for me but it might just be a coincidence. Might want to give it a try.

I'm seeing the same thing. When I talked to TomTom I got the it's a firmware problem and a fix is on the way with no set date. They suggested I use the clear flash utility as some seem to think it makes things better. I tried that with no change what so ever. At this point all we can do is sit back and wait on TomTom for a fix or use a non computer voice which defeats the purpose of buying a high end GPS. :(

Low Battery?

I have a GO 730 that I purchased on Boxing day. I have used it quite a bit since and always kept it fully charged. Today during a trip I started getting the stuttering. I checked my battery level and it was 1/2 charged. (Mine really uses the batteries...I have it set at full brightness, bluetooth and FM enabled) I connected the power and the stuttering went away. So all the complaints about stuttering using V8.3 might just be caused by low battery levels ....50% should be good enough but I guess it's not!

So all the complaints about stuttering using V8.3 might just be caused by low battery levels ....50% should be good enough but I guess it's not!
Even with external power and a fully charged battery, the stuttering continues here and elsewhere. Just wait for a LONG name (e.g., a highway that's got both names and a couple of different numeric designators).

Bestbuy's warranty replaced my previous 720 due to a battery problem and MAY have the new map guarantee to use - not sure but as far as Tomtom knows it's a new unit (closed box) and a new email address.

But I don't want the stuttering problem. So my questions are -

1) is the stuttering problem only with the new map and the new tomtom home together or does it occur with, let's say, the new Home but with an older map? I do believe that I'd need the latest Home to accomodate the new map.

2) Could I upgrade the map just to a 2 GB memory card left over from my previous 720 and switch back to the old map in internal memory in case of stuttering? That would allow the best of both worlds without needing to restore to an earlier version of things since the internal memory would still be old map.

I still have a week or 2 to take advantage of the possible map upgrade.

Bestbuy's warranty replaced my previous 720 due to a battery problem and MAY have the new map guarantee to use - not sure but as far as Tomtom knows it's a new unit (closed box) and a new email address.

But I don't want the stuttering problem. So my questions are -

1) is the stuttering problem only with the new map and the new tomtom home together or does it occur with, let's say, the new Home but with an older map? I do believe that I'd need the latest Home to accomodate the new map.

Home has nothing to do with the problem. It is firmware 8.3 causing the stuttering.

2) Could I upgrade the map just to a 2 GB memory card left over from my previous 720 and switch back to the old map in internal memory in case of stuttering? That would allow the best of both worlds without needing to restore to an earlier version of things since the internal memory would still be old map.

Again, it's the firmware. some have stuttering with a 810 map; some with 815.

I still have a week or 2 to take advantage of the possible map upgrade.[/

Well, map 815 NEEDS firmware 8.3. There may be a fix within 2 weeks. Also there are threads in this forum that propose a 'fix' as such for the stuttering problem.

Bottom line: don't miss out on the freebee upgrade of the map. After 30 days, it'll be too late.

Ask a Question