How can I solve the problem of stuttering

I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem on my 720. I've noticed that the stuttering is not as bad with v8.301.

I have been using the map in 2D view with no stuttering at all. I switched to the 3D view and the stuttering returned, then back to 2D and the stuttering was gone again. I was driving the same route all three times. I'm not sure why this would make a difference. It may even be a coincidence.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem on my 720. I've noticed that the stuttering is not as bad with v8.301.

I have been using the map in 2D view with no stuttering at all. I switched to the 3D view and the stuttering returned, then back to 2D and the stuttering was gone again. I was driving the same route all three times. I'm not sure why this would make a difference. It may even be a coincidence.
I think you'll eventually find that 8.301 behaves the same as 8.300. However, moving to 3D uses quite a bit more horsepower to generate the video (rendering in perspective, etc) and many of us believe that either due to added code, task blocking, interrupt priority issues, or something nasty of those sorts, it's the lack of horsepower that's causing the stuttering to begin with.

I have had good luck with only updating to the v700 LoquendoTTS and keeping the original V8.3. Only the VERY occasional stutter and I get to keep all the other functionality (I noticed the bluetooth data doesn't work with 8.32).

Still patiently awaiting the "official fix". I emailed TT last week about it, they said they had NO estimate on a fix, and their official work around was to disable TTS!!

I have had good luck with only updating to the v700 LoquendoTTS and keeping the original V8.3. Only the VERY occasional stutter and I get to keep all the other functionality (I noticed the bluetooth data doesn't work with 8.32).

Still patiently awaiting the "official fix". I emailed TT last week about it, they said they had NO estimate on a fix, and their official work around was to disable TTS!!

How in the world can an official "work around" be to disable. That is not a work around, it is a cop out and BS

My 720 only stutters under the following conditions:

I'm in the middle of a hands-free phone conversation
AND
the unit attempts to play a wave at the same time (for example: "Turn Right Ahead" or "Slow Down").

Previously, with older versions of NavCore, the TomTom was able NOT to play the waves, during a call.

Is this the same issue?

My 720 only stutters under the following conditions:

I'm in the middle of a hands-free phone conversation
AND
the unit attempts to play a wave at the same time (for example: "Turn Right Ahead" or "Slow Down").

Previously, with older versions of NavCore, the TomTom was able NOT to play the waves, during a call.

Is this the same issue?

Your 720 says "Slow Down" ?? I have yet to hear that.

Your 720 says "Slow Down" ?? I have yet to hear that.
First you have to set the custom menu-bar to display the Max Speed/Current Speed. Then you need to assign a wave to the over-speed alert (...I can't remember exactly what this is called. Sorry) & activate the alert.

It's been a while since I did this--I think it was initially back when I owned a ONE 3rd. The default waves are mostly "bells & whistles" (literally), but I found the English Male "Slow Down" wave that somebody had recorded, in these forums. Later, I created & uploaded a British Female "Slow Down" wave, here as well.

R?

First you have to set the custom menu-bar to display the Max Speed/Current Speed. Then you need to assign a wave to the over-speed alert (...I can't remember exactly what this is called. Sorry) & activate the alert.

R?

You thinking of Preferences-->Safety-->Warn when driving faster than allowed??

tomtom support fix

email support says that you should not use the computer voice Use the other voices until its fixed. Isn't this going backward since you will not have text to speach for an unkown period of time. Don't do it and accept the studdering for the next few months. Anybody want a Garmin

You thinking of Preferences-->Safety-->Warn when driving faster than allowed??
Possibly. IIRC, there are two different speed warnings.

One is "Warn When Higher Than Speed X" & the other is "Warn When Over Max Speed" (not exactly sure what the prefs call these). The latter (which I use) requires that street speed data be set on a particular stretch of roadway. TomTom then plays the alert wave at about +4 mph above the known Max Speed.

For the first method (which I don't use), you set an overall max speed & the unit will play the alert wave if you exceed it, regardless of whether or not it has speed data.

I just installed NavCore 8.32, Maps V.8.15 and Loquendo TTS 7 Susan... I will try it out on my way home tonight to see if the stuttering stopped. I also use RDS-TMC Traffic... so we'll see how it does.

I will post tomorrow my findings.

NO STUTTERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NavCore 8.32 + Loquendo TTS 7 + Maps 8.15

The only complaint I have it with the TTS - For some reason when it tries to say Interstate Two Hundred and Five it comes out Interstate Two West Five - Same with I-405... strangest thing ever... but I can certainly live with it!!!

NO STUTTERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NavCore 8.32 + Loquendo TTS 7 + Maps 8.15

The only complaint I have it with the TTS - For some reason when it tries to say Interstate Two Hundred and Five it comes out Interstate Two West Five - Same with I-405... strangest thing ever... but I can certainly live with it!!!

Yeah; I noticed the same thing with Interstate 101 south (Highway 1 West 1 south), (wait, did he just say that highway 1 south? highway 101 west?). It's a real problem when I'm in San Francisco and trying to figure out if I should take highway 1 or 101.

Stuttering appears to be fixed

Per TomTom:
Navcore Version 8.302 is now available
(TomTom GO x20 and x30 series)

Fixes faltering computer voices

I have installed it on my 930 and not had stuttering (in places where it used to stutter)...
I guess the jury is out whether this is the fix we have all been waiting for, but it appears to be the case.

Ask a Question