WTF!?!? Stuttering Fixed, Wireless Data Not Supported

I am DONE with TomTom. I have had a 730 since January and I have to say that while it is feature rich for the price point, the implementation and execution is PATHETIC. After not being able to use the TTS feature for several months and suffering with random reboots and seemingly endless quirks, TT issues an OS update that fixes one problem and causes another. I had manually configured my Blackberry 8320 for wireless data which worked well enough - I install 8.302 and now I do not have the option to reconfigure my data connection, it simply says "Feature Not Supported". This is bull****. I bought a refurb for about $230, if I had spent $450+ I would be writing letters to the BBB. How on earth is a company allowed to operate like this? Looks like I will be doing a restore to the previous version and live without TTS since the stuttering fix killed my ability to receive wireless traffic updates.:mad:

Call support at 866-486-6866. It may be a situation where resetting the BB rectifies things. Don't know. But call.

Well, I would do I restore IF I COULD. TT Home is telling me that "certain volumes" that were present when I did the backup are not present now, which is simply not true. I have the same unit and the same SD card installed as when I did my last backup. What a load of crap. I consider myself a technically advanced user - if I were Joe Consumer and bought this in Best Buy, I wouldn't have a clue. What a freaking joke. I am about ready to throw this thing against the wall. Call support? When was the last time anyone called support and spoke to someone who actually helped? Telephone support is an oxymoron. :mad::mad::mad:

I understand your frustration BUT, if you don't at least allow Support a chance to help, then you really are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I called support. No help whatsoever (as expected). The BB 8320 is not on the list of supported phones, so I guess that I am just SOL. This version killed the ability to manually configure your wireless data connection - too bad, thanks for playing.

For whatever reason, the TT Home backup did not in fact back up my application version (or the update erased it from my computer). EVERYTHING else is in my backup folder, BUT the application data. TT can't/won't send me a downgrade back to 8.3. I would live without TTS if I could just have my TT services back.

To top it all off, I got disconnected while on hold after 20 minutes of not getting anywhere and trying things that I have already tried.

Does anyone have a set of instructions where I can download and manually reinstall 8.3? :confused:

Well, I would do I restore IF I COULD. TT Home is telling me that "certain volumes" that were present when I did the backup are not present now, which is simply not true. I have the same unit and the same SD card installed as when I did my last backup. What a load of crap. I consider myself a technically advanced user - if I were Joe Consumer and bought this in Best Buy, I wouldn't have a clue. What a freaking joke. I am about ready to throw this thing against the wall. Call support? When was the last time anyone called support and spoke to someone who actually helped? Telephone support is an oxymoron. :mad::mad::mad:

Your really right obout tt support. Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing plus it hit or miss on phone support as to correct a problem in your unit. May I suggest 2 things before you through away your unit. First try reset to factory settings on your unit and then try reparing your cell.. And finally As a very last result go to my computer, and right click on your tom tom folder and format the tomtom.. After you format disconnect your unit from tom tom home and restart it by connecting it to your computer again. You will now be given the files and folders to download again for you unit. Download everything and try it again

Remember to do this right before you through your unit against the wall. This worked for me. By the way before you do this make a copy of mapsettings.cfg in the north american maps and a copy of contacts in the tom tom folder First. You will need these two files when you format to save your favorites after you format and your contacts if you have anything.

If you call phone support to help , the support team needs a special approval to help you format your drive. Goof Luck

2nd call to TT support. There is nothing that can be done - 8.302 does not offer manual configuration of wireless data. They wouldn't even issue a refund on the traffic subscription since my phone isn't officially supported - basically I was using the service at my own risk. Thankfully I used the backdoor link and only paid $30 for my traffic instead of $60!

They won't give me a downgrade either because they said it wouldn't be able to read my maps (even though I was running 8.3 up until this morning).

I should have just bought a One XL for $90. What a joke. I will NEVER recommend TT to anyone.

On the bright side, at least the stuttering will be fixed. :rolleyes:

My map version is 815.2019 - TT support advised that downgrading back to 8.300 would make my device unable to read my mapset version. Is this accurate? (That particular statement doesn't seem to make any sense...)

So going from 8.302 to 8.300 is fine on mapset V8.15.

When I rename the cab file to zip it says that the zip file is invalid or corrupted, but I can "explore" the cab file ok. Can I right-click, explore, and then copy/paste the files to my TT root directory?

My map version is 815.2019 - TT support advised that downgrading back to 8.300 would make my device unable to read my mapset version. Is this accurate? (That particular statement doesn't seem to make any sense...)

That is not accurate. 8.2x and higher work perfectly with map 815. 8.1x and lower don't.

If your 730 is functioning (except for the frustrating 8.302 changes), I would connect to Home, and have Home delete the application ONLY. Then shut down Home.

Then, download 8.300 from the link and load the unzipped files into the root of your 730. If you can't unzip directly - you should be able to unzip them to a folder on your computer and copy/paste the the 730 root. Disconnect it from the computer and see if it boots up OK.

Reading this is making me glad I have not undated to the newer app releases (8.301 & 8.302). I use traffic and "Operate My GO" in Home. For some reason (luck) - have never had a stuttering problem on my 920. I am amazed they have eliminated the manual setup in the newer app (???).

It is good practice to always use Home to copy to computer every application version you use, so if you have to roll back - you simply have Home remove the current one and then pick the one you want (that you previously had Home copy to your computer).

When done - do a window backup (copy with hidden files and folders set to show) and don't bother with the Home device backups - often unreliable.

Last edited:
If anyone finds a way to manually configure wireless data on 8.302, please let me know! I have yet to find a way...

To downgrade to app 8.300, unzip the following file (rename cab to zip) onto the root of your tomtom, overwriting files that are present.

Go x20:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.300.9732.gox20.cab

Go 630:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.300.9732.go630.cab

Go 530/730/930:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.300.9732.go530-go730-go930.cab

I am able to download the 730 file, but can not extract the files. I renamed from .cab to .zip, but when I try to extract to a local folder I get a message that the zip file is invalid or corrupt. I am using the native Windows unzip utility - should I dl a trial version of Winzip?

The BB 8320 is not on the list of supported phones, so I guess that I am just SOL.
I dunno... my Palm Treo 700wx is not on the list of supported phones, yet the Wireless Data continues to function as before even after the upgrade to 8.302. I had to configure it manually, originally. Now you've got me afraid to muck with it 'cuz it's working fine after the upgrade. This doesn't seem like a feature that they would have purposely disabled.

-Frank

OK, so I've made some minimal progress. Still on 8.302 - after deleting my 8320 from the 730, unpairing the bluetooth setup on the phone, and reconnecting everything, I am at least given the OPTION to set up my wireless data connection manually.

I am using the same info as I have always used (APN - wap.voicestream.com, dial - *99#, etc.) but no data seems to be transmitted over the blackberry. I watch the signal icon for traffic and it remains inactive throughout the whole wireless data process. Occasionally, bluetooth will not stay connected during this process (the devices seem to lose their pairing) and then I have to start all over again.

I can hook up my 8320 to my laptop as a modem and see if that works (when you use a phone to access TT plus services you are basically using it as a tethered modem). If not, there may be something going on with T-Mobile's APN, which I highly doubt.

Any new suggestions are welcome.

Ask a Question