startup screen

I have tried to install a new starup screen on my one xl and all i get is a white screen. I am using the ones from tomtom home and they aren't working. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks

I have tried to install a new starup screen on my one xl and all i get is a white screen. I am using the ones from tomtom home and they aren't working. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks

I just got a Tomtom and I did not think of backing up my GPS before I changed the startup splash. After changing to startup and shutdown splash I restarted the Tomtom to look at it.... It now shows a white screen as a startup, and a black screen for shutdown. Please help. I used Tomtom Home to download the splash screens. I have been searching for a fix and have found none yet.
thanks again.

-EDIT
I found the solution... Not all of the splash screens you download from tomtom home work. It must be have a 24 bit depth to work. alot of the pictures on tomtom home are 32.

Last edited:
I just got a Tomtom and I did not think of backing up my GPS before I changed the startup splash. After changing to startup and shutdown splash I restarted the Tomtom to look at it.... It now shows a white screen as a startup, and a black screen for shutdown. Please help. I used Tomtom Home to download the splash screens. I have been searching for a fix and have found none yet.
thanks again.

-EDIT
I found the solution... Not all of the splash screens you download from tomtom home work. It must be have a 24 bit depth to work. alot of the pictures on tomtom home are 32.

Here is a site that you can convert the download screens to be used on your TT. You can also us it to make any picture you have that you might want to make a splash screen out off.

Splash Screen Generator

Thanks
I made my own from a picture I had on hand. the following had to be right:
1.) Size 480x272 pixels (even though different sizes display in picture gallery they wouldn't work as Start up.
2.) Colour depth 24 DP
3.) Name must be splashw.bmp

and they have to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise before they work.
on my one, it's splash.bmp no w. perhaps the widescreen units call them splashw.bmp

interesting. I was just browsing through my backup with a picture viewer and some of the aftermarket ones I have are rotated 90 degrees and others are not. my original tomtom ones are not either. all work. strange.

my unit is a one v2.

Thanks

I have done some playing with my tomtom and after i installed the startup and shutdown screens from tomtom home, I shut down the gps unit and then unplugged the usb from the unit. I then powered up the tomtom and my startup screen I got from home is there!!! Turned it off and the shutdown screen I downloaded is also there. Give it a try.

Brand new to tomtom One 3rd Edition...installed Home on XP sp2 and updated. Added a couple voices and changed vehicle icon without issue then selected new open and close splash screens.

Anyone experience this...new shut-down screen displays fine but start-up now is a blank white screen :confused:

Followed suggestions in this thread as well as here but to no avail.

Thanx and Cheers!

If your unit has a 3.5 inch screen, then the startup file must: 1) be named splash.bmp. If your unit is 4.3", then the file MUST be named spashw.bmp.

But there is more to it than that.....

The physical file must match the size appropriate for the screen. In other words, larger file (named properly) for the larger screen units,etc.

Thank you for prompt reply. 3.5" screen. After extracting, startupscreen folder does have splash.bmp and appears to be correct size (160x120, 24 bit true). Home indicates it downloads to device. Then use device>disconnect but still have white screen.

Thank you for prompt reply. 3.5" screen. After extracting, startupscreen folder does have splash.bmp and appears to be correct size (24 bit true). Home indicates it downloads to device. Then use device>disconnect but still have white screen.
As I mentioned before the larger screen is 480 x 272.
Somehow 160 x 120 sounds wrong to me.
Have a look at the screens/pictures that came with your device or via Windows in the \photos Folder.
I may be dead wrong but I feel yours should be about the same height but only about 390 wide, if the same resolution is used.

In any case, yours should be the same as the original TomTom screen in that folder.

you need 320 x 240 for the 3.5" screen and I believe it can be names splash.bmp or splashw.bmp as long as there's only one.
I have a 320 by 240 .bmp named splashw.bmp that works well for me.

Ask a Question