speed warning not working?

I bought a tomtom ONE 130 for the purpose of showing the speed limit and warning when I speed. I can't figure out how to make the speed limits show up, and I can't get it to give me a beep when I go over. I did set the feature "warn when driving faster than allowed.", and set the sound for it.

Does this unit not show what I'm after?

tia

I don't know the ONE 130 but since you have the option to set it for speed warning it really should work.
Mine comes on usually 8-9 km above the limit but, I must be on a road where Tele Atlas has programmed the speed into the map.

I always get it on Freeways and secondary highways but not often on city streets unless they are major thoroughfares.

There are more and more speed limits in newer maps. The best way to make sure that it is showing is to do a route demo in Manhattan. Even really old maps had speed limits on almost every manhatton street.

You can add speed limits in mapshare if you wish.

Even here in Tampa my 720 shows speed limits for just about every street here. Even the ones in my gated community neighborhood. You're probably not seeing the speed limit because (as others have said) the speed limits of the streets in your area aren't loaded into your map. You can make corrections by adding speed limits for certain roads you'd like, and then upload them to Mapshare.

speed warning doesn't work

About 2 months ago I purchased aTomTom GO 630. I checked off the "warn when driving faster than allowed" and I also picked an alert sound. I took it for a ride all around the city and highway but I could drive 20 KPH over the speed limit and no warning.
I live in Winnipeg, Canada so the unit is set for kilometers. When I went to Hawaii and my friend took his 630 he bought a couple of years ago when we rented a car and used his 630 the speed would flash Red when he exceeded the speed limit.
Is it possible my location in Winnipeg, Canada is the reason or does my unit have a problem? Other than the above problem, everything else works great.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!!!:confused::confused:

Did you take it on the Trans Canada or any other route with a 100 km/h or 110 km/h speed limit.
Mine kicks in between 8 to 13 km/h over the limit and changes to red.

Have you updated to the latest (845) map/ There are significant improvements in many Canadia roads/highways and that would translate into more imbedded information regarding posted speed limits on main highways.

Don't expect to see a warning on city streets.

Speed Warning

Arno

I once did take it to a highway posted at 100 KPH and that was the only time the unit showed the
100KPH/my speed instead of the usual single speed number with no reaction if I was speeding. I pushed it to about 110 KPH for a few seconds but nothing happened.

dhn

I haven't updated to the new 845 map, I guess I'll try that next. It's weird, everything else works correctly except for the speed warning thing.

Thank to both of you !!

Update to speed warning

This thread is directed to ARNO and dhn.

ARNO

I took your advice and spent a few hours and took the Trans Canada and other Perimeter highways around the city.
Finially the two speed digits came up on the TomTom and after driving 7-10 KPH over the posted limit the warning and red signal came on. In the city it just shows my speed.

dhn

You're right, in the city it's only a second speedometer. My GO 630 is loaded with the following:
App: 8.351 and V: 840.2562. Should I upgrade to 845? My above post to ARMO proved the problem is the city and many parts of the province are not listed resulting in the GPS not responding to speed.

Thanks to both of you and any suggestions are appreciated.

The 845 map has made **significant** additions of ALG/Reality View here in the Greater Toronto area. I presume improvements have been made in all provinces with mapping information since TomTom said there were improvements to 42,000 miles of roads in Canada.

I would be inclined to get the 845 map if I lived anywhere in Canada but it's your decision. And remember, it still won't give a speeding warning for city streets I would think.

Ask a Question