Screen brightness problem

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
I'm still breaking in my new Go 920, and now I have a question on screen brightness.

I formerly had a Garmin 2610, and even when in direct sunlight I had no problem seeing the screen.

The screen on my Go 920, on the other hand, is hard to see in bright sunlight, even if the light isn't shining directly on the screen.

I'm wondering if other have had this problem, or if my screen might be overly dim due to a defect.

If this is indeed a common problem, what solutions have worked for you? Is there some screen protector/anti-glare film that can help, or do I have to device some type of hood to shade the unit?

Thanks for the assistance.

TGIF

I have the TT One XL and the same problem with sunlight, there isn't much you can do, I bought one of the anti glare screen covers and it doesn't help at all (as I can see?) when it is hard to see I just listen to "Rita" or whomever to tell me where to go...:eek: especially on the motorcycle it is very hard to see during daylight, but it sure is good at nite on the nite screen...

Has anyone had any luck with a shade hood?

If so, are there any ones that fit the 920 that you could recommend?

Thanks again.

TGIF

the brightness of all the TomToms is a major disappointment. They have had more then enough time to do a better job, but have decided not to for some reason.

I have used the Glare Stomper (soft) sun screen with good results. Also, some color schemes are helpful. The French_palette_de_colure (spelling not right...) had good contrast - you might download (through TT Home) and try it.

the brightness of all the TomToms is a major disappointment. They have had more then enough time to do a better job, but have decided not to for some reason.

I have used the Glare Stomper (soft) sun screen with good results. Also, some color schemes are helpful. The French_palette_de_colure (spelling not right...) had good contrast - you might download (through TT Home) and try it.

Thanks for the pointers!

TGIF

I had a 720 and live in Florida with a sunroof in my truck. I found the lack of screen brightness to be enough of a problem I had to return the unit. I was hoping the new x30 series was going to correct the problem but I have seen no difference with the display models I've seen at retailers.

I would love to buy another TomTom, but I'm not willing to put a hood on it just to be able to use the unit during the day.

Suggestion to TomTom: come to FL, rent a convertible and test drive around with any future model before releasing it, if you do, you'll gain back a loyal customer :) because I loved everything else about it.

For what is worth I tried something that seems to help in bright sunlight.

I have the Icap and that helps a bit but what seems to help even more is using a night colour. With the darker background the street/Hwy stands out better.
At least it does with the colour scheme I am using ( Florida day/night scheme)

Florida Day.clr

Florida Night.clr

Always a problem in direct sunlight. Boats use a sunshade when their gps units are outside. Sunshades attach with a special velcro for high heat. Just do a Google search for a sun shade for your particular unit. It costs about $19 for this and is well spent for high noon bright sun.

Sun Shade Clip-on Glare Shield / Visor for TomTom One XL Go 520 530 720 730 920 930 930T GPS GPS043

I bought one of these to try and help and it probably does a little but with the sun right behind me on the motorcycle no then it doesn't, but in the car it is better a little, I got tired of using the clip and glued it directly to the TT, on my One XL it fits perfect on the black border and this solved a problem, especially for the motorcycle mount I use, the good thing is they are not that expensive to give it a try..........

Dim display

I have the same issue with my TomTom One,not being able to read it in the daytime.
I have a solution for the problem. Mine was "Buy another brand" and SG the tomtom.

Go 920 Screen Brightness

The problem may be variable. Mine was replaced under warranty and the replacement is even dimmer than the original. You don't need to rent a convertible in Florida to wash it out, a coup in England with no sun is enough to make it very difficult to read. I paid a premium to get this particular unit only to get European maps but at home I use a cheapy GPS my daughter gave me because I can read it. I would not buy this unit over again, I would buy something else and spring for the European maps.

I use one from Glare Stomper at this name . com it uses a special velcro that stays in place and secure even when very hot in the car. It uses an very thick material specially designed and cut for your unit like the 920. It takes 5 seconds to install and to remove. it can also be folded up and always be available if needed. i think that it improves the screen by about 80%. Many boat owners use the same thing when they have a gps outside of the cabin. other then direct sun to the screen it really works well. Just one hint in putting on the velcro. Make sure you put your tom tom on your cradle before putting on the velcro because you need about one inch at the bottom of your unit without this velcro so you can connect your cradle to your computer. Its very inexpensive for what you get. I do not like the clip on sun screens. But this is my view

Garmin is a little better but not by much.

Considering the source of the problem (380,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Watt Flashlight in the sky) even the most advance screens and monitors have trouble against it.

I think mount placement should be the first concern. Day in and day out I see people driving around with the GPS right in the middle of the windshield. Not only a dumb place too put it as it inhibits view plus makes you a obvious target for theft its also where it can collect the most sunlight.

I mount mine low too the left so its still in eye shot, hidden a lot better, and shaded a little better. If low too the left isnt a good spot find one that is...

Setting the brightness up helps too...

Personally I keep the day brightness at 85% and even in direct sunlight I dont have trouble seeing it. At night I have too keep it at 10% with a dark blue map (Antartica) because its brightness will give me a head ache...

Garmin is a little better but not by much.

Considering the source of the problem (380,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Watt Flashlight in the sky) even the most advance screens and monitors have trouble against it.

I think mount placement should be the first concern. Day in and day out I see people driving around with the GPS right in the middle of the windshield.
No kidding. I mount mine as you see below, and satellite coverage is just as good as if it were on the windshield. Note that I'm also using the standard suction mount for a 720 on a piece of dashboard and it never falls off unless my passenger clobbers it somehow.

In this position, I minimize the sunlight issue considerably.

Attachments

• IMGP6563.jpg
    IMGP6563.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 620
  • IMGP6564.jpg
    IMGP6564.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 560
I mount it at the top of the windshield, just left of the rearview mirror.

It is (in my opinion) the safest position as it is close to the road but never blocks anything.

Also, the roof of the car acts as a sunshade.

Ask a Question