Screen alignment problem

Hello to all!
Sorry that people come to focrums when they have problems, but that's how you find nice and interesting places to visit anyway...

Here's my problem. I got my tomtom 510 about a year ago. It worked ok until I had a FEW DROPS fall from the mildew on a cold bottle fall over the screen. Nothing happened, until the day after, when the touchscreen was totally off alignment, and it stayed that way. I cannot get the thing to do anything.
Is it possible that the 510 has NO alignment screen or a "service" mode in which I can get the alignment for the screen back? As it is, I can just throw it away.

Thank you all.

Franco

Hello to all!
Sorry that people come to focrums when they have problems, but that's how you find nice and interesting places to visit anyway...

Here's my problem. I got my tomtom 510 about a year ago. It worked ok until I had a FEW DROPS fall from the mildew on a cold bottle fall over the screen. Nothing happened, until the day after, when the touchscreen was totally off alignment, and it stayed that way. I cannot get the thing to do anything.
Is it possible that the 510 has NO alignment screen or a "service" mode in which I can get the alignment for the screen back? As it is, I can just throw it away.

Thank you all.

Franco

Did you try a soft reset? use a paperclip and push the button on the bottomm of the unit. A couple drops of dew should not have bothere the screen!! Getting moisture inside the unit would do it.

Did you try a soft reset? use a paperclip and push the button on the bottomm of the unit. A couple drops of dew should not have bothere the screen!! Getting moisture inside the unit would do it.

did a soft reset and also let the internal battery go completely down.
Even replacing the SD. Nothing..... did this happen before? I mean the touchscreen go out of alignment.

did a soft reset and also let the internal battery go completely down.
Even replacing the SD. Nothing..... did this happen before? I mean the touchscreen go out of alignment.

Did you try a factory reset- go through menu and there will be an icon for factory reset. This will delet your favorits and recent destinations so you will want to back it up. It has never happened to my 510 and I find that the cause was a little moisture on the screen. It sounds like something has gone goofy. Is the unit functioning correctly otherwise?:confused:

Did you try a factory reset- go through menu and there will be an icon for factory reset. This will delet your favorits and recent destinations so you will want to back it up. It has never happened to my 510 and I find that the cause was a little moisture on the screen. It sounds like something has gone goofy. Is the unit functioning correctly otherwise?:confused:

Well, if I could I would... but I cannot reach any of the menus, the touchscreen is so off that I cannot get to any window except the volume and "destinations"... where I am stuck
is there a hard reset somewhere?

BTW, the water drops did get to the screen inside (not visible, but I removed the front bezel and there was water on the edge of the screen).

Well, if I could I would... but I cannot reach any of the menus, the touchscreen is so off that I cannot get to any window except the volume and "destinations"... where I am stuck
is there a hard reset somewhere?

BTW, the water drops did get to the screen inside (not visible, but I removed the front bezel and there was water on the edge of the screen).

Your best bet might be to just shut it off and take the sd card out and put it under the light of lamp( mild heat from the bulb) to see if it will dry out. My daughters cell phone fell into a sink full of water once and her phone acted goofy afterward. I open the phone and allowed it to dry and it worked perfectly afterward. I know that TT instructs users not to open the TT PND but it was done by one of the members in a forum showing the battery size. I would just leave it alone for a while and see what happens. This is not a warranty issue persay son I am not sure how TT management would handle it. Hopefully it not completely done!! There is an icon to reset the TT back to facdtory specs if you can get to it. I do not have my 510 in front of me but I think you press the change preferences icon on the second page9 once again if you can get to it) to do this hard reset. it may work because I believe that this would affect operating parameters (screen calibration, icon placement, etc)

Last edited:

Ask a Question