Route issues

TomTom Model(s)
510 software 6.52
Yesterday there was a fire along my normal route, so I was trying to avoid the freeway. I selected my destination as home, and selected "avoid freeways". What did TT do? Direct me straight to the freeway. I re-selected my routes a few times, powered down, and it still directed me to the freeway. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Your best bet is using option 'Avoid part of route'.

I tried that, it simply directed me to another freeway!!!

I love my TT, and I can deal with other routing problems that we all encounter with whomever supplies the maps, or with destination times, or shortest/quickest routes, but if you select "avoid freeways" as an initial routing option, and it still directs you to a freeway, that's a major issue.

You have to select not avoid freeways but 'Limited Speed'
It will ask you what the maximum speed you would like it and enter a speed slower than a freeway and select done.

Use 'Avoid road block' then. I don't like this one because I have to give TomTom how many km (miles) I want to avoid, sometimes it's tough to estimate.

If you use avoid route, you would spend too much time going to each freeway and avoiding it. The best option to avoid freeways is the speed limit.

I'll give it a shot, but what's the point of haveing an "avoid freeways" option if I have to change speed limit?

Dunno.
I would suggest to make the speed limit 45. for some reason if you input 50, it still directs you on the freeway.

Still directed me to a freeway, even with speed limit set as low as 25! TT really needs to fix this, as even if 25, 30, or 35 worked, just because I don't want to take the freeway, doesn't mean I want to drive through school zones!

I am also finding the routing on TT 910 inferior. I am comparing this with my DELL ppc gps. It gives me a longer (time wise) route from home wherever i go. Yesterday it was giving me a route with 27 min to destination and i didn't follow and took my usual route. After couple of min it recaluclated and gave me 15 min using my route. Its not that it doesn't have the correct map but the problem is with the routing software.

Now my questions:
(1) The biggest problem that i have is even though i make it route through my prefered path using 'Calculate Alternatives', it keeps rerouting me and bringing me to original path. For this problem i am almost considering returning it.
(2) Is there anyway to avoid local roads?
(3) How are other people finding the routing?
(4) Does anybody think tomtom will improve route?

Thanks

Ask a Question