Route calculation times

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920(T)
I've got the GO 920T and I was wondering if anybody could provide me with it's routing calculation time.

All I could seem to find when I Googled it was terms like "fast" or "quick" but no actual numbers. I'm not happy with it's rate of route calculation. I find it's too slow. If I miss a turn, by the time I get to the next street, more often than not it's still recalculating the new alternative route, so I find myself either missing the next street I was supposed to take or if traffic permits (which is rare) I wait for it to recalculate.

I'm looking to purchase a replacement that will :

- Provide FAST routing capabilities
- NOT erase my favorites when I update my map(s)
- Offer FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES

The first one is hard for me to quantify since I can't find any numbers on the route calculation speeds. I'm a tow truck driver so I need a high end RELIABLE unit which is suitable for
my needs.

Can anybody help me on this???

Well, the 2535M requires the use of MyTomTom web based interface and the user has no access to the file system. This brings about various issues of its own.

BUT.................

The route calculation algorithms are much faster is that model than in the 9X model and recalculating is quite quick (unless you go 100kph on city streets :D ) and you can create favourites and then save them to the computer for use if and when upgrading a map.

I'm looking to purchase a replacement that will :
- Provide FAST routing capabilities
- NOT erase my favorites when I update my map(s)
- Offer FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES

where are you from?????
There aren't any models in the UK that offer free lifetime maps. Models in the US with LM in the model number do.

Your favourites do not get erased on the more recent models, and even on the older ones there are usually ways around it. (often discussed on the forums, but ask again if you can't find the details)

Routing speeds got a LOT slower on models with IQ routing (I think the 920 does have IQ?). You could try switching it off to see the big difference it makes.

The Go1000/2000 models are vastly faster at route calculations, especially for longer routes, less so for short ones.

It doesn't have to be a TomTom model.

As a matter of fact, I was quite put off by the lack of customer support offered by TomTom in the beginning so I'd prefer to go with Garmin this time around.

BTW.....forgot who asked where I was from, but I'm from Ontario, Canada.:thumb:

The route calculation algorithms are much faster is that model than in the 9X model ...
So far, my experience has been that this is true pretty much ONLY on longer runs where a 10.X unit is able to use some pre-calculated routing. In town, there doesn't seem to be a significant difference. Ditto for recalculations - time to complete is very much distance dependent.

What I do see, and I think the user is seeing, isn't the time to recalculate as much as the delay by the unit in deciding to actually do it. I find that the 9.X devices are a bit slow to do so, even after it's clear from the driving page that it knows that you have bailed on the original route. It's only some number of seconds, but that delay in getting started on the recalculation can make the difference between being told too late, intersection after intersection, that you should have turned.

Ask a Question