Route calculation question

I have a question, which is bothering me for few days. If some one can answer it will be a great help. This is regarding tomtom and garmin route calculations. If I calculate a route from Ronkonkoma new york to Iselin new jersey (around 80 miles) with tomtom go 720 it takes around 6 seconds. Again a route from Ronkonkoma new york to los angeles CA (3000 miles) it takes 28 seconds and for toll free route it takes 1 minute 23 seconds on the same tomtom go 720. I do the same test on my garmin nuvi 250 now. It takes 15 seconds to calculate a route from Ronkonkoma new york to Iselin new jersey (80 miles) , 17 seconds to calculate a route from Ronkonkoma new york to los angeles CA (3000 miles) and the same 17 seconds to calculate a toll free route from Ronkonkoma new york to los angeles CA. I can buy the delay in calculation with tomtom go 720 for 3000 miles toll free trip where it should take millions of roads into account. How is it possible for garmin to come up with a route by 17 seconds irrespective of the miles covered?

No, the original poster's question isn't about TomTom's inaccuracy regarding a trip's ETA.

The question is how long it takes for the TomTom to plot the trip when compared to the Garmin.

Yes this is nothing to do with tomtom’s ETA logic. It is all about the difference in time taken to plot a trip from new york to California between tomtom and garmin units. I thought this factor is important because this decides the route recalculation speed when you miss the route.

Ask a Question