Rider V2 Cradle Issues

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2
Firstly can i say that this site saved me buying a new TTR-I thought mine was broken as it would die immediateley I unplugged the mains charger. Reading on here the "20 second" reset, it now works as it should. However, my other problem frustratingly remains

I have owned aTT Rider (V1) for a number of years now, and prefer the TT to Garmins. My Rider V1 expired after many miles, despite countless soaking in torrential rain, baking in direct sunlight and was overdue for replacement. I thought long and hard about what to replace it with because the BIGGEST downside with the TTR was that the powered cradle never seemed to last for long-power was in the lead, but failed within the cradle and never getting to the unit. I must have purchased four or five cradles over the years, none lasting very long.

On hearing that the V2 cradle was far superior to the V1 cradle I decided to stick to the TTR amd so purchased a Rider Version 2, only to find that the cradle was not powered!!! No mention of this within the advert.

So I buy a lead and powered cradle (not cheap), and halfway through my trip of Croatia and Bosnia, it stopped charging, I had to put the unit in my tank bag and power it through the USB socket via the 12v cigarette lighter socket. This took it out of my direct field of vision which was none too clever in built up areas.

Checking it with a multimeter showed power was getting to the cradle from the lead but NOT to the TTR from the cradle (the same familiar story as my V1!). So, why don't they last? My cradle is firmly and well mounted and does not suffer from any vibration (I spent ages mounting it to ensure it was insulated from any vibration). Can the cradle be opened and repaired?

Thankl you for your help.

Ask a Question