Problem with tom tom rider v2 bike cradle

my tom tom rider wont charge through the cradle that mounts to the bike
which really limits my options

i have 12 volts going to the plug that plugs into the cradle as i have checked it with a volt meter

but the cradle is not supplying power to the tom tom

brand new out of the box yesterday

any ideas ?

Call TomTom. I was able to get them to ship me a new cradle before they just replaced my Rider v1 completely. Might take a few days to get here, but they're pretty good about these sort of things.

hmm well riddle me this

i went back to the shop and they gave me another cradle from the display cabinet
i go out the front and test it in the cars ciggarette lighter and its working fine charging the battery
by the time i get back home again it has stopped working again
not having time to go back and throw it at them as im at work im now stuck in the same hole again

so im wondering if i should just return it and get a refund and then just purchase a garmin 550 and be done with it :(

Same old, same old

Ater two seasons dealing with the faulty Rider version 1, Tom Tom replaced it with a 2nd addition. I got it wired in last week. Went for a four hour ride Saturday. I had high hopes for the 2nd edition but no joy. I have reliable power (tested with a multimeter and wired direct to the bike battery with a switch int the circuit). NO JOY! The rider mount does not turn the rider on, nor does it charge. So, after about 3.5 hours the internal battery used up its charge. I have Emailed Tom Tom customer service with a detalied explanation of the steps I completed in hard wiring and mounting. Waiting (not so patiently) for their reply.

Has anyone else had trouble with the 2nd edition rider mount not charging?

I can't answer you Rider question as I only use the TTOneXL but I just use the car plug and put an auxilary plug on the bike and it's wired directly to the battery and have not had a problem with my plug in, I know that's probably not much help to you.......

I can't answer you Rider question as I only use the TTOneXL but I just use the car plug and put an auxilary plug on the bike and it's wired directly to the battery and have not had a problem with my plug in, I know that's probably not much help to you.......

Won't help much, the Rider mounts are powered, so you can remove the Rider without messing with cords. There are contacts on the mount that seem to be the issue (or at least they were with my Rider1).

I've not used the V2 on the bike much (yet) so I'm not sure how the Rider2 will hold up. I hope that I can get everything wired and working for my trip coming up. I'd perviously wired a cig lighter adapter, but will probably put the rider electric directly into the fuse box with an add-a-fuse adapter.

I got Rider 2, I got it wired to the bike battery and I also tried to connect it to a 12V car cigarette lighter and nothing. I can not get it to charge. Why is Tom Tom having such issues with cradle charging the unit? I called Tom Tom and they are sending me a new cradle, but I'm worried that this will happen after 1 year when warranty ends.
I got this GPS from Amazon.com, should I return it back to Amazon or wait for the cradle and see what happens. Since, I only had this GPS for 1 week, I?m still within 30 days of return policy.

TOMTOM Rider 1

Hi,
I have been having similar issues with my version 1. I though it was the unti itself, contacted TomTom, but since i was out of warranty, they told me to send it to any electronic shop to fix.
Now the unit works fine, but i get intermitent charge from the cradle. Any suggestions, ideas?
Thanks,

Juan

Juan,

Because the unit I got was only 7 days old, I took it back to the store and got my money back. I will never get a Tom Tom again, I dont want to get stock 2000 miles from home without a working GPS. When I pay $300.00 for a GPS, I want it to work.

Juan,

Because the unit I got was only 7 days old, I took it back to the store and got my money back. I will never get a Tom Tom again, I dont want to get stock 2000 miles from home without a working GPS. When I pay $300.00 for a GPS, I want it to work.

Its pretty bad when you buy something you pay alot of money for and it doesn't work; what a rip off. Can't blame you for that decision.

For those who are stuck and cannot return their tomtom rider 2, a simple solution is to call tomtom. I just called them today and went through the usual support services hoops to get an answer; they are going to send me a new cradle.

Other info that may be of interest:

When I connected the power cable to my motorcycle, I did not connect it directly to the batter. I piggy backed off another fuse from my fuse box. I found it to be a safe choice; at least I know it won't suck any juice from the main battery while my bike is turned off.

Furthermore, as some of you have already done, I checked the power on the power cord using a volt meter and found the power to be slightly under 12 volts; ~11.5 volts.

Once I connected the cable to the cradle, I checked the voltage of each pin. The meter reading was consistant for pins 1, 3 & 4. Pin 2 was a dud. I am not a technical expert on how the pins are configured but I imagine one of them should at least be a neutral. I asked TomTom if they could divulge any information about the voltage on each pin, but they didn't know either.

As soon as I recieve the new one, I might as well open up the defective one and check out the plumbing inside; I am curious.

Also, I was told by a representative at TomTom that RAM also makes cradles for the Rider 2. I will probably investigate and write another post on what I find.

Once I receive the new cradle and test it, I will post an update.

I have read alot of postings on the internet about the TomTom and I have to say that I am very dissapointed in the quality of a product that is this expensive. Nothing worse than when it happens to you.

Cheers,
Bob

I returned my Rider 2 back to store and I purchased Garmin Nuvi 550, which also takes Topo maps of all parks. I love th Garmin and the best past, ready.....

I can take Microsoft Street and Trips, plan my route, save the map. Then open Garmin MapSource and send the map to my GPS. Works great.

I think Microsoft Streets and Trips is amazing and planning a route makes it so much easier.

I returned my Rider 2 back to store and I purchased Garmin Nuvi 550, which also takes Topo maps of all parks. I love th Garmin and the best past, ready.....

I can take Microsoft Street and Trips, plan my route, save the map. Then open Garmin MapSource and send the map to my GPS. Works great.

I think Microsoft Streets and Trips is amazing and planning a route makes it so much easier.

That is great news!

Ask a Question