Remaining time problem

I have a Tom Tom One XL and after I set my trip and get started on the road, the time remaining always shows about double what it should be and therefore the arrival time is later than it should be. I usually travel about 60-70 mph so if the distance that I have to go is about 120 miles, the time remaining will show about 3.5 hours instead of 2 hours. It is almost like it is calculating the time with a default speed of 25-30 mph. Even when I get within 5-10 miles of my destination, it still shows about twice the time. I have downloaded the latest software and this has not helped.

Anyone know what the problem is here?

I have not found a way to reset the default speed setting. I thought that it was supposed to adjust the arrival time according to how fast you were traveling. Not so?

I guess my questions would be:

1. Do you have the latest (850) map?
2. Do you have IQ routing set on and the 'fastest' selected in planning preferences?

I have it set on fastest route in the planning preferences but I dont have any "IQ routing" setting anywhere in the GPS. I also looked in the manual and there is not mention of IQ anywhere.
What are you talking about here?

Your model may not have that functionality.

If, in the planning preferences screen, you see no reference to IQ routing on the bottom, then you don't have it.

Models without that functionality will encounter much less than realistic ETA's when they start out.

... to go is about 120 miles, the time remaining will show about 3.5 hours instead of 2 hours.
[ ... ]
Even when I get within 5-10 miles of my destination, it still shows about twice the time.
From those two statements it seems to be a limited speed setting in your options (fastest, shortest, not to exceed XX mph).

I have no idea where those settings are on your device.

On my 930, after having selected a Navigate to location, a screen pops up asking What type of route should be planned? and I am given the following options:
Fastest route
Shortest route
Avoid motoreays
Walking route
Bicycle route
Limited speed

These questions are asked because I had selected (.) Ask me every time I plan under Planning preferences on screen 5 of 8 of Preferences

I don't know if you can make the same selection but wonder if somehow if a limited speed had been set and has now become your default.

Maybe you can check a city route A...B Prepare route

In any case, use Google maps to compare what time is suggested between Point A and Point B.

Let us know how you make out.
Don't hesitate to ask for clarification, if needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I click on Navigate To, my screen pops up and asks the same question. I always select fastest route. I have never selected Limited Speed. So I guess I am not sure what is going on with this thing. I just calculate ETA in my head if anyone calls and asks me.

I have a TT One XL and don't have that problem, in fact after I put in the trip and it tells me the time to destination and continues to update as I drive (not by a whole lot) but sometimes on a 150 mile run it usually picks up about 20 min.
I basicly use the same setting you do (fastest)............

Anyone know what the problem is here?

I have not found a way to reset the default speed setting. I thought that it was supposed to adjust the arrival time according to how fast you were traveling. Not so?

Tomtom's don't adjust remaining time based on your current speed. The ETA's on pre-IQroutes models were known to be very bad. If you update to an IQroutes-enabled Tomtom, the remaining time estimates are the best in the business, usually less than 5 minutes off on a 5 hour drive.

Ask a Question