Reinstall Map from Computer

Having purchased a Map Update my XL IQ (cardless) told me there was insufficient space for a full install, and so a partial install was necessary. I had the idea of removing the existing map from the Device to the Computer to clear up disc space and then installing the full update map. This I did without Backing Up first. Having copied the map and deleting from the Device I could then not find my newly purchased updated map and looking through the TomTom Help sections came across the instruction that the map on the Device should not be removed!
Attempts to contact TomTom by phone are impossible - always busy. Can anyone help me to recover my map please?
Many thanks.

If its using a Western_Europe map then the new V850 map is too large to fit on the built in storage memory so the new version of Home will let you choose one of four regional sections which are smaller and will fit on the limited storage space. If its a regional map such as one covering just France then you shouldn't experiance the storage space issue with your hardware.

The map download will be saved to your computer in the folder Home uses to store downloads, start Home and click Tools/ Preferences then select the Folder Preferences tab, one of the items listed is the file path to the folder Home uses for the maps, you can then use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the download folder to see if the new map is stored on your computer.

The whole issue of the new Western_Europe map is causing quite a few issues for a large number of users at the moment - Mike

If its using a Western_Europe map then the new V850 map is too large to fit on the built in storage memory so the new version of Home will let you choose one of four regional sections which are smaller and will fit on the limited storage space. If its a regional map such as one covering just France then you shouldn't experiance the storage space issue with your hardware.

The map download will be saved to your computer in the folder Home uses to store downloads, start Home and click Tools/ Preferences then select the Folder Preferences tab, one of the items listed is the file path to the folder Home uses for the maps, you can then use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the download folder to see if the new map is stored on your computer.

The whole issue of the new Western_Europe map is causing quite a few issues for a large number of users at the moment - Mike
Many thanks for this. But how do I load the map back from the Computer to the Device?

The map is compressed as a CAB file while stored on the PC, the easy way to put it back on the device is to use WinRar to open and extract the map files straight to the drive letter associated with the device. When the main map files are transfered you also need to extract the map activation file from the downloads folder to the map folder on the device - Mike

The map is compressed as a CAB file while stored on the PC, the easy way to put it back on the device is to use WinRar to open and extract the map files straight to the drive letter associated with the device. When the main map files are transfered you also need to extract the map activation file from the downloads folder to the map folder on the device - Mike
Many thanks.
I have extracted the map files to the Device main drive. However I cannot see a 'Map' folder on the device. Also, what typicaly is the name of the map activation file?

On your computer where Home stored the map download in .CAB format should be a file named "activation.zip" this is the map activation file, simply open this using WinRar and extract the single file straight to the Western_Europe map folder on your device - Mike

Thanks for your patience.
Have searched and I cannot find 'activation.zip' anywhere on my Computer. Looks like I have a major problem?

If you use tomtom home you can re-aquire the entire map and all of the software through the internet if you have the patients to download a fresh copy of the 1.6GB or so map. Wipe the tomtom, and delete all yoru backups(rename the folders if you don't want to delete them, but those backups won't work anyway) make sure you restart the tomtom home application after renaming the files and wiping the flash memory of the device, then use tomtom home to update the device and it will require everything automatically and be activated. This won't work if you have a (bad) backup file in your PC, that why you need to make the application think you don't have a backup

I thought I had bricked my device only a few hours after I purchased it, but it can be recovered, fear not.

Michaellgs
Michaellgs

Interesting. All the software. That's terrific.

But how is it decided what map, for what region, is to be download to your computer (and then extracted to the TT)? Do you have to get out your credit card, decide what map you want, and buy that map?

mvl
The "North America P" map (on the XL335/XXL535) includes the full maps, but doesn't have speech recognition data since those models don't have microphones.

I have the North_America_P for my xl335. so you are saying that I have no speech recognition data, but I have a full version with the the full POI, which fits on my TT even tho my flash drive storage space is only 2gb. Cool.

Ask a Question