Registration

Do you have to register in order to update map like they do with Garmin?

How about traffic update? Will it come attached to the adapter (like Garmin) or there's a subscription based service that receives the feed via satellite signal??

I am quite torn between a refurb XL350TM with a very appealing price and a new low-end Garmin.

Thanks all.

When you purchase an 'older' unit with an "M" suffix, you are provided with a 'coupon' in the packaging that should allow you to subscribe to the map service using TomTom Home (the PC application that accompanies the unit). Sometimes it works, and sometimes you have to call Customer Service to achieve the desired result.

As for the traffic, it is an RDS-TMC receiver on the power cord of the 350 that receives the traffic, and this is also a 'lifetime' subscription, and should require no intervention on your part at all to make it work. No GPS unit (TomTom, Garmin or any other) is receiving traffic data by satellite. The RDS-TMC feed is managed over subcarriers of local FM radio stations. TomTom "Live" versions receive the "HD Traffic" data by contact with cell sites.

You need to register the activation code for the M (maps). Call CS at 866-486-6866. Trying to register online is a waste of time for most.

The antenna works out of the box with no registration needed but the coverage area is here:
http://totaltraffic.com/CoverageAreas/

Thanks.

One quick follow up tho, what if somebody already uses the code or redeems it under their username in TomTom system?

I have read elsewhere on the net that for those of Garmin, if the original or previous owner claims theft and insists upon that (regardless whether they can provide any police report or evidence) then you won't be able to update the map at all.

I just don't want to go through the lengthy arduous refund/return process with Buy.com.

If someone has registered the code previously, then you've been sold a used product as new.

And that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Before purchasing a "refurb" unit, make sure it's from an outfit that is really selling factory "refurb" units, not just recycling used ones.

Can you tell us where you're thinking of purchasing the 350?

Before purchasing a "refurb" unit, make sure it's from an outfit that is really selling factory "refurb" units, not just recycling used ones.

Can you tell us where you're thinking of purchasing the 350?
From his last post, it sounds like he is dealing with Buy.com.

My personal experience with that company has been very poor, and I can see why he might be concerned about problems. Other people may have had a better experience, but I have purchased from them on two occasions and there will not be a third occasion. (I gave them the benefit of the doubt after the first experience - which was a mistake.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Hey thanks guys for the input.

I haven't ordered any yet, just doing my homework and a bit research here and there.

I just make up my mind, I think I will get the XXL55M [linky] from Tiger Direct for 80 and buy off an antenna in addition from ebay [linky] for cheap. :)

Why are there model specified antenna and what is with "w/ 1-YEAR" traffic subscription thingy?

Is that the HD-traffic update? I don't really need anything fancy as long as the unit can carry the normal traffic update to avoid any major traffic bottleneck.

Personally, I would get this model from Amazon: (540 TM)....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6/177-4504435-6333563?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tomtom&sprefix=tomtom%2Caps%2C459

Do the math ......... the unit includes the rds-tmc combo antenna/car charger (which is NOT LIVE traffic but, rather, fm traffic. Not as current or accurate but the traffic is good for life and works anywhere. No registration needed)

Also, the 540 has the full menu structure, not the 'dumbed down' one of the EasyMenu included 550.

I just make up my mind, I think I will get the XXL55M [linky] from Tiger Direct for 80 and buy off an antenna in addition from ebay [linky] for cheap. :)

Why are there model specified antenna and what is with "w/ 1-YEAR" traffic subscription thingy?

Is that the HD-traffic update? I don't really need anything fancy as long as the unit can carry the normal traffic update to avoid any major traffic bottleneck.
I agree with dhn that the XXL540TM would be a better choice, both financially and from the standpoint of performance.

It includes the special antenna that will give you free traffic for the life of the unit, and the general opinion is that the XXL540 is a better unit than the XXL550 because of the capabilities that were removed from the XXL540 when creating the XXL550.

FYI, the "free lifetime traffic" is the information broadcast over FM, not the HD traffic that is sent via a cell phone connection that requires a yearly subscription fee. From a functional viewpoint, the FM traffic is updated about every 15 minutes and the HD traffic is updated approximately every 3 minutes.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

+1 on the XXL540TM choice.

Ask a Question