Red X of Doom

I've only had my TomTom One XL for a few weeks and already it doesn't work. Every time I start it up when it's not connected to my computer I get a flashing red X and that's as far as it goes. I can't get any of the newest updates to install as apparently E:/ttsystem is damaged or whatever as I cannot write to it. I searched the whole tomtom.com/support database for help and found that none of their answers work. I tried calling them tonight but they were gone for the day, my schedule of school and work coincides with their operation hours (joy).

Someone, please help me!

Duplicate post... Please ignore.

Ooops! This is a duplicate post. Sorry!

Can one of the mods erase it please?

Last edited:
I had this 2 weeks ago on my One 2nd Edition.

You have to format the device like you would a disk on your computer. i was unable to restore my back up. Instead I copied the files over manually. Not sure why, but that worked.

Good luck!

Have you made a backup?
If so try restoring it. If all fails try to exchange it for another.

I did make a backup and tried reinstalling the backup to my tomtom and unfortunately now my poor device won't even turn on when not connected to the computer :( I think I may just try to exchange it for a new one at this point.

I had this 2 weeks ago on my One 2nd Edition.

You have to format the device like you would a disk on your computer. i was unable to restore my back up. Instead I copied the files over manually. Not sure why, but that worked.

Good luck!

Oh, I have no idea how to do that, heh. I think this is beyond my league when it comes to technological savvy. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate how helpful everyone has been!

It is really easy.

Connect the TT to the PC
Open Windows Explorer
Go to the TT drive.
right click and select 'format' make sure you do complete format and not quick.
Once that is done, find your back up and copy everything over. Very simple, really.

When I got the "Red X of Doom" I wasn't able to format the card or access it in any way. Seemed to be completely trashed for some reason. I had to buy a new card, restore to it, and everything has been fine since. I assumed it was just a faulty card (it wasn't the original card, it was a 2gb card I had purchased).

Jim

That is interesting... You are probably right. Just a faulty card.

I have a 2nd edition, so my problem was the internal memory had to be formatted.

re: Jbacka's solution works

I had the same problem with my TOMTOM ONE 3rd Ed after a couple of days owning it. Jbacka's suggested re-format and manual copy from the backup folder worked. So far so good.

THANKS Jbacka!!!:D

Ask a Question